BartPE CD messing with XP on hard drive?

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Strange occurance on a machine today. There was nothing wrong with the rig running XP Pro. I was testing a BartPE bootdisk with WiFi drivers for the specific card that was on the computer. Boots up PE no prob, no joy on the NIC though, but thats not the issue. I'll fix that later.

When I exited PE and restarted the machine the boot.ini had been modified. It now showed 3 instances of Windows XP (which where non existent) and when I booted into windows it had re-enabled ALL the startup programs (all but a few where disabled through msconfig) and even some previously disabled Services had been restarted. Everything else was fine, it took a bit of work to change it all back and correct the boot.ini file, but just wondering if anyone know WHY this would have happened. I cant think of anything in the PE boot that would have done that.

Solution

I am inclined to agree.

Was this a one time thing or can you recreate it?

I have never seen Bart change a system setting of any sort. Then again, these are pretty mundane changes.

Can recreate this activity or was it a one time thing?

He doesn't need to do any such thing. Its a Bart disk soundguruman. Its an XP based Bood cd. You build it yourself.

Yes he did. Bart isn't a product. Its a disk you build. If he didn't, somebody did it for him.

If you don't know what your talking about, don't comment.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
I figured people around here would know what Bart PE is, or at least PE in general.
I compiled the disk myself and use it for faster Acronis trueimage restores and command line virus scanning/cleaning. However running a Win XP preinstall environment of any kind shoudln't be making changes to a pre-existing hard drive based installation of XP.

Falcon, yes the changers were mundane and easy to fix, if not annoying. I haven't attempted to recreate the error yet, but I will, once I have a complete backup on the unit in question. Although this happened in conjunction with using the BartPE boot disk, I'm starting to think it must be something else causing it.

I am inclined to agree.

Was this a one time thing or can you recreate it?

Solution

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Well it seems to have been a one time deal. I thought for a bit there that it may have been the Acronis plugin for BartPE as that was the only thing I used from the environment, but I can't recreate this issue. BartPE is in the clear, must have been some strangeness with this machine. Thanks.