Sign in with
Your question

Help, one of my cores might have died

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2008 11:48:44 AM

I have a Q6600 running @ 3.2Ghz for the past few months. It was just another ordinary day and i loaded speedfan to check some temps. Suddenly my pc turned off. It tried a couple of times to boot on its own but it wouldn't post. I turned it off, and then power it up again and it worked. When i loaded some programs though everything was reporting that i had only 3 cores.

i.e

It's still covered under guarrantee so i ll probably just return it but does anyone have any idea of what happened and if it's reversible?

More about : cores died

January 13, 2008 12:44:36 PM

i reflashed my bios and everything seems to be ok now. Hope everything stays this way.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2008 12:53:44 PM

wow, I've never seen anything like that 0_o
Glad to hear it's running fine now.
Related resources
January 13, 2008 12:58:01 PM

Youve just come across a long rumored Intel Easter Egg that ocasionaly turns a Q6600 into a Phenom X3 just to prove how totaly stupid the competition is. :) 
January 13, 2008 2:20:03 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
Youve just come across a long rumored Intel Easter Egg that ocasionaly turns a Q6600 into a Phenom X3 just to prove how totaly stupid the competition is. :) 

I lol'd.
January 13, 2008 3:11:41 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:

wait, where's the smiley that looks bored out of his mind?
January 13, 2008 3:16:14 PM

surrealdeal said:
wait, where's the smiley that looks bored out of his mind?

Right here. I'll just unzip and show ya. :lol: 
January 13, 2008 4:01:40 PM

hmm, you may be the first person in the world to have a tri-core cpu. congrats. benchies!

edit: Apparently Intel beat AMD to the tri-cores as well. This is bad for AMD!
!