1080p help

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Hi, I have a xfx 8800gt and when I hook it up to my LG 47 lcd it does the following:

if I run something lower than 1080, it fits perfect within the tv frame,

but if I increase it to 1080 resolution, then the picture suddenly jumps out of the boundaries as if my tv was bigger...

any help would be appreciated.
Thanx for you time.

AwsmGy

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I had a similar issue with my 32". I found the problem was with the TV stretching or zooming in on the picture. Look in your TV manual to see how to set it correctly.

Chuck_PR

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I know this sounds like a dumb question/statement...

but have you checked to see if your TV is capable of 1080i/1080p?

Most 720p tv's also accept 1080 signals and display them properly though.

Most likely it's a setting you'll have to change on your TV via your remote.

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

The one thing is, i cant access one of my picture options, and that's where i was afraid the prob might be... but since my comp. recognizes it, it should set it automatically.

and yes it's 1080p :)

Chuck_PR

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
Unless you can change your display settings on your tv, either via your remote or the front panel of the TV(often doable but take two aspirin before attempting to find that kind of setting from the front panel!),

You may be stuck. Are you using a VGA connection or a HDTV output(DVI or HDMI)?

Also, if you are using a VGA connection, try reconnecting with the TV HD output, either DVI(or HDMI).

Some HD TV's with both HD and VGA connections only support VGA up to 1280 x 720 - if you want to connect at full 1080 quality you are forced then to use a DVI or HDMI connection.

mcidfta200

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
ok guys, here's a bit of the outcome. I only had the HDMI to DVI cable (DVI card), so today i borrowed my buddies VGA to VGA cable and it worked at 1080. It looked a bit crappy though... i like it better with the HDMI. I haven't checked yet with the HDMI and to set the aspect ration to custom. I'll try when I get some free time.

One thing to note on this lcd: before I wasn't able to edit the "picture" setting (with DVI), but after the "PC" (VGA) connection it was available as an option. I still couldn't change the resolution though, i think that's because it does it auto from the graphics card.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I have the same problem on my 32" 720p display. The right and bottom sides of my picture are stretched about a inch off the screen. It seems to be a problem related to Nvidia cards. People have had the same problem you and I have had, but when they use their ATI cards it works perfectly. That's why I'm getting an ATI card, hopefully it'll fix this issue for me.

Btw, I'm currently using a 7900GS. I have to use the Resize my Desktop feature to get it to display properly, which means I'm using a custom, non-standard resolution of 1219x693.