kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I installed another western digital harddrive to use as a slave and it worked for awhile then on day I booted my machine back up and it no longer showed it in (My Computer) but it shows it in hardware profiles.
It does'nt show it in Disk Managment either. Any Ideas???? Sitting here still scratching my asssssumtions.Thanks.

Have you tried to run system restore, setting the drive back to a time before the problem started? Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calender, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calender and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

Is the added drive IDE? The jumper on the added drive, is it set to slave?
run a scan on the system:
http://www.pandasecurity.com /homeusers/solutions/activescan/
let us know what the scan found
remove the spaces from the above link before copy paste to browser window
back up all your personal files to CD, DVD, online backup
Do a repair install (not reformat) of the XP operating system using the XP disk
when you do this repair, leave the new drive plugged in
load drivers if needed from the computer manufacturer's website or the driver disk included with the computer.
After the repair install, the system should be working OK, but if not, let us know.

Tigsounds has posted this:
Is your hard drive made by Seagate? If so, is it a model 7200.11, or 7200.12, or 7200.13?? (You may need to look at the sticker on the drive to determine this information)
If so, your drive died because of a firmware problem that is quite difficult to repair.

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I have to go to Arkansas for 4 weeks so I'm unable to run a scan but I'll do so as soon as I return home > Thanks for taking the time out to help it's greatly appreciated. B

How's the battery in your BIOS? Is your BIOS remembering settings?
The questions about the BIOS are because there are settings there that can effect IDE drive performance.
We don't know the make or model of your computer, so can't advise exactly what to do, but there are some general things that may be available.
In the BIOS, usually under the Advanced section, there may be an entry like On Chip IDE Device or similar.
Once there:
It may show Primary Channel <enabled> (A must if connected to mainboard)
It may show Secondary Channel <enabled> (A must if connected to mainboard)
as well as Primary Master PIO <auto>
as well as Primary Slave PIO <auto>
as well as Primary Master UDMA <auto>
as well as Primary Slave UDMA <auto>

If not on auto, you must choose the mode, such as Mode1, Mode 2, etc. Best to leave all on auto.
This is what the BIOS will hand over to Windows to work with.

If the drive is connected to the computer by an add-on card, (PCI, or PCIe controller) the situation changes.
The BIOS will have little-to-nothing to show for the drive or the card, except that it is there in your Device/IRQ table at boot time.
Windows will manage the card and the drives all by itself. Here, the driver is all important. Make sure it is good.

You can try to see how Windows identifies the drive by right-clicking "My Computer" and select "Manage" and then click "Disk Management"
looking to see if Windows acknowledges it's presence and what the status of the drive is, It should be "Healthy" and might also be active.
If it is not healthy, it won't work. A drive may be marked as not healthy if the partition table became corrupted. If so, you need data recovery software soon, get your data out and then can run partition software to try to re-establish the partition. Good data recovery software can read through a blown partition.

You have installed a Western Digital drive, so no red flags concerning the drive itself pop up.

This is all getting to be a lot to read, but there could be much more. Here is where I stop until learn exactly what you are dealing with.
Please include computer make, model, BIOS revision, type controller that the drive is connected to.

Well thank you! Actually, I often times wait for you to advise first because you tell people the most obvious and often,
the simplest thing they can do (such as a restore point rollback). Hey, if it all worked when a restore point was made,
that should do the trick. Sometimes it can be something that a rollback won't affect and that is when I come in to make
further suggestions because it is dis-heartening to see a rollback fail to fix the problem and then they must make another
plea for help and wait for an answer, if one comes at all. I love these machines. My computer is the best toy I've ever owned.

Cheers,
~Tigsounds~

kyoshi59

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
I'm currently in another state on business until the 30th of this month so I'm unable to check to see if this suggestions work. But I will certainly do so as soon as I return and give You my feedback. Thanks for being so patient. I really do apprciate all of the feed back concerning my problem. You guys are great...B