HDTV vs. non-HDTV picture quality when both using same cab..

Ever since we got a 61" 4x3 HDTV Sony two years ago, I have always
felt the picture was not as good as my 55" non-HDTV Toshiba. I
figured it had to do with resolution capability of the Sony vs. the
limitation of the non HDTV converter. Does this sound right or am I
mistaken? The reason I ask is due to five months of ongoing cable
problems. The tech states that the Sony's displaying an accurate
picture and since he doesn't see the noise/lines on it that we do on
my 27" non HDTV set, that the problem is not cable related. I feel
that the different screen and circuitry makes comparing the two sets a
case of comparing apples with oranges. Are either of us right?
2 answers Last reply
More about hdtv hdtv picture quality

    A lot of the service techs connect the sets directly to the cable feed, via
    the on board tuner connections. Then also run the feed into the Cable Box
    that decodes the HD Premium Materials the customer receives. The lower
    resolution reception tends to be much better via the set's tuners rather
    than being processed by the Cable Box. Of course the HD and premium must be
    delivered through the Cable box. Additional, this allows use of the Picture
    In Picture modes of these sets for the customer. Either Component, HDMI, or
    DVI from the Cable Box into the television. Which ever is applicable with
    the equipment being used. Try it and see if there is an improvement?/ Post
    your results.

    On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 01:09:37 GMT, Damian <ss@ss.com> wrote:

    >Ever since we got a 61" 4x3 HDTV Sony two years ago, I have always
    >felt the picture was not as good as my 55" non-HDTV Toshiba. I
    >figured it had to do with resolution capability of the Sony vs. the
    >limitation of the non HDTV converter. Does this sound right or am I
    >mistaken? The reason I ask is due to five months of ongoing cable
    >problems. The tech states that the Sony's displaying an accurate
    >picture and since he doesn't see the noise/lines on it that we do on
    >my 27" non HDTV set, that the problem is not cable related. I feel
    >that the different screen and circuitry makes comparing the two sets a
    >case of comparing apples with oranges. Are either of us right?

    Well, I do know that some HDTVs do a better job of showing all the
    warts on a 4x3 NTSC analog or 'cable digital' picture and some analog
    TVs can display a 4x3 NTSC analog picture in a more pleasing way than
    some digital sets. That may be what you are experiencing. You can
    confirm if it is cable or the sets by simply comparing an over the air
    analog broadcast on the 2 sets.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    |edelsgNO@SPAMyahoo.com.invalid (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo

HDTV Sony Home Theatre