large drives

Hi,
I recently had to do a system reinstall of XP pro. I had a 200 gb secondary
hard drive , and the system deleted all my partitions and also all the data
on this drive. It now shows up only as a 128 GB drive, but when you click on
properties, the other 68 GB shows up as used. How do I retrieve this data?
Ben

dl

You need to enable big LBA support
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
applies to win2k, similar to winxp
Broadly speaking, update winxp to enable large LBA, then
delete/partition/format etc slave.
This assumes Bios can see large disk, if not you need to update bios also
You can of course simply utilise your spare space as another partition,
however there is a theoretical possibility of data loss if you do this with
a non large LBA o/s, and later enable large LBA support

"bentetzner" <bentetzner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I recently had to do a system reinstall of XP pro. I had a 200 gb
secondary
> hard drive , and the system deleted all my partitions and also all the
data
> on this drive. It now shows up only as a 128 GB drive, but when you click
on
> properties, the other 68 GB shows up as used. How do I retrieve this data?
> Ben

Gene

Maxtor furnishes a small utility which will make all the registry changes to
enable use of drive size of 137GB or larger in XP:
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menuitem.3c67e325e0a6b1f6294198b091346068/?channelpath=/en_us/Support/Software%20Downloads/ATA%20Hard%20Drives&downloadID=11 .
Gene K
"DL" <dl@spoofmail> wrote in message
> You need to enable big LBA support
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305098
> applies to win2k, similar to winxp
> Broadly speaking, update winxp to enable large LBA, then
> delete/partition/format etc slave.
> This assumes Bios can see large disk, if not you need to update bios also
> You can of course simply utilise your spare space as another partition,
> however there is a theoretical possibility of data loss if you do this
> with
> a non large LBA o/s, and later enable large LBA support
>
> "bentetzner" <bentetzner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> I recently had to do a system reinstall of XP pro. I had a 200 gb
> secondary
>> hard drive , and the system deleted all my partitions and also all the
> data
>> on this drive. It now shows up only as a 128 GB drive, but when you click
> on
>> properties, the other 68 GB shows up as used. How do I retrieve this
>> data?
>> Ben

"bentetzner" <bentetzner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>I recently had to do a system reinstall of XP pro. I had a 200 gb secondary
>hard drive , and the system deleted all my partitions and also all the data
>on this drive. It now shows up only as a 128 GB drive, but when you click on
>properties, the other 68 GB shows up as used. How do I retrieve this data?
>Ben

If you want to recover anything from that second hard drive it is
*imperative* that you do not save any files to it or do anything else
until you have tried some partition recovery software.

My first suggestion would be to use MBRWORK from the free utilities
section at http://www.bootitng.com

Note that using MBRWORK requires an understanding of hard disk data
structure (partition tables etc.) and you may want to enlist the help
of a computer service technician in doing this.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

dl

Just reread yr post,
If you installed with a pre large LBA support installation of Winxp, you
either need to partition the free space or create a slipstreamed copy of
winxp, containing SP1/2 etc. Then clean install using this.