DataTraveler Secure Problem

plangevin

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a problem with this drive... ( DataTraveler Secure Problem )

For people that are unfamiliar with this drive, it requires 2 mappings. F: for the password and G: for storage.

I am tech support for a big company. They have a network drive mapped to the G: which means that I must disable the drive to open up a slot for the storage of the USB.

Instead, I decided to simply remap the storage from G: to M: (Letter that wasn't used). Now, it works fine if you are Admin, but it will not work for someone who doesn't have admin rights..

Meaning, if I remove the Admin rights from the user ( I added them simply to change the drive letter ), the drive will stay on F: for password and M: for storage but I simply can't access the storage drive.

After looking up the website, it says that they must have consecutive letters.. That's false since i've done this procedure before..

I was simply wondering if anyone ran into this problem and found a solution to it.

Thanks.

EDIT: I know that I tend to cut corners in my explanations so feel free to ask questions.

techkingston08

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
Hi plangevin,

There is no other work around for the Data Traveler Secure Privacy drive. Due to inherent restrictions in the user mode it must use two consecutive drive letters. In your situation it would be necessary to change both drive letters of the drive to use in user mode.
That's false since i've done this procedure before..
This may have been possible if you were on a different OS or if the conflicting network share was off-line at the time you plugged the drive in.

Kingston Tech Support