Sign in with
Your question

Reboot or select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

Last response: in Windows XP
June 6, 2010 6:16:53 AM

Hi there. Can someone please help? IWhen I switched my computer on it said hard disk error press F1 to resume. I did that and then got "reboot and select proper boot device or inset boot media in selected boot device and press a key" I did switch off and start again but it didn't help. Many thanks
June 6, 2010 6:24:13 PM

Do you have the windows XP installation disk or a system restore disk that was included with the computer?
June 6, 2010 7:36:04 PM

Werth said:
Hi there. Can someone please help? IWhen I switched my computer on it said hard disk error press F1 to resume. I did that and then got "reboot and select proper boot device or inset boot media in selected boot device and press a key" I did switch off and start again but it didn't help. Many thanks

Is your hard drive made by Seagate? If so, is it a model 7200.11, or 7200.12, or 7200.13?? (You may need to look at the sticker on the drive to determine this information)
If so, your drive died because of a firmware problem that is quite difficult to repair.

If it is not a Seagate, check your BIOS settings, look for the BIOS showing your drive, it's size and then look to see if it is selected to be the primary boot device.
Other than that, I await to hear more details of your system and any other clues you may provide.
Related resources
!