Windows.old file

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Hey there people of Toms Hardware I was just wondering if someone could help me locate my windows.old file for deletion. I've reinstalled windows xp twice and I'd like to clear old information on my C drive.

Thanks for the answers :D

Unless you specified otherwise, XP will have wanted to format out the old system and install into the resulting free space. Are you missing hard disk space? Have you opened up the system to show hidden files and protected system folder? There's a little utility which might help called SpaceMonger, some of which you can find free of charge at http://www.sixty-five.cc/download/.

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Yeah I'm missing hard disk space on my C drive. I've opened up the WINDOWS folder and hidden files and windows.old still isn't located in the folder. I'll check out SpaceMonger, tyvm for the continued answers.

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
All that I can find is suggestions to how to find the windows.old file with Windows Vista or Windows 7, located under the Disk Cleanup which sadly isn't applicable to Windows XP.

SevenVirtues

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Sorry, I didn't see I was in the XP forum. Ignore what I just said.

Go to your Your C drive, then into your windows folder.

Then click Tools in your menu bar > Folder Options > View > Check Show Hidden files and Folders. > Apply and OK.

You should now be able to find it.

cs_zelot

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Gah sorry, already tried that and still can't find anything under WINDOWS. Ran a search for windows.old under the WINDOWS folder and just to cover my bases the entire C drive. Still can't be found yet after reinstalling Windows XP my C Drive still has 24 gigs saved.

Assuming you have SuperHidden files showing, it's becoming clear you simply don't have a filed called Windows.old. Did not SpaceMonger point to any large blocks of data which might help?