Is a raid set up good for me? Gaming PC Asus p6t i7.

I'm building a new PC for the first time. It's gonna be:

antec 1200
EVGA x58 Motherboard
i7 920
corsair 3 x 2 GB ddr3 triple channel
2 x EVGA 260+ in SLI
still looking for PSU
1 DVD reader/writer

I was gonna put two drives on the machine 1 300GB velociraptor 10,000 for the OS and other applications and games and 1 or 2 500 GB 7200 for data.

The more I read about setting this up, the more I hear about raid. I'm new to it. I'm looking for good performance AND a reliable Hard drive set up.

Should I

1. Just use the 10,000 speed drive by itself and have 1 or 2 other drives for data in a normal set up
2. Set all 2 (or 3) drives in a raid set up
3. If it's possible use 10,000 speed drive for OS and apps and set the other 2 drives up in raid 1

Thanks for any info
9 answers Last reply
More about raid good gaming asus
  1. Good performance would be RAID-0 but reliable it is not.

Possibly you could look at RAID-5 with 3 drives this will provide performance and more reliability than RAID-0.

Dont discount SSD's if you have the cash as well
  2. I would never set up dissimilar drives in a RAID. You'll lose the benefit of the high speed 10k drive because it would be waiting on the others. In your case, I would use the single 10krpm drive as os and apps, and then just add other volumes as needed for storage. If you want, you could have a pair of storage drives in RAID 0, but I don't really see a huge benefit.
  3. Thanks for the info. I think I'll do just that. It seems the easiest setup to get speed. Then I'll just back up data to external or 2nd HDD.
  4. So can you have the velociraptor do the OS and set up the other two drives in raid to get redundancy on data?
  5. Put OS and programs on 10K drive. Use other two drives in RAID 1 configuration for your data. That way data is continuously backed up in case of a single data drive failure. If you loose the 10K drive you can always rebuild from program disks. Weekly or monthly, I'd back my data drives up to an eSATA external drive and store it off site just in case something happens to the whole PC.
  6. awesome. Thanks. That seems like exactly what I was looking for. I just bought a WD 550g 7200 thirty something cache drive for data. I will now buy an identical one so I can set up the raid 1 between the 2 drives. Is it real easy to set this config up? any advice on how to do it step by step?
  7. Sorry, haven't checked back since New Year's Eve. Just tried to configure 3 WD640 drives in BIOS with Drive 0 set to Non-Raid (for OS), Drive 1 and 3 set to Raid (for data redundancy). P6T BIOS appears to require OS be on RAID drives; i.e. the bootable drive selections do not include the Non-Raid Drive. Tried to call ASUS, but they appear to still be out for the holiday. Should be a way to designate the non-raid drive as the boot drive.
  8. Should say boot selections, after selecting RAID in Configuration, do not include the non-RAID drive. (Once you select RAID under Configuration, you reboot, go back into BIOS and hit Ctrl I, to get to where you designate what drives are to be used for RAID. Any data on the selected RAID drives will be wiped. There is no way, that I can see, to make the RAID drives non-bootable and, as mentioned, BIOS then does not give you the alternative to select the non-RAID drive as a boot drive.)
  9. Ok. Thanks I'll check into that because if the raid drives have to be the bootable drives then I'll need the OS on em and it would defeat the purpose of getting the raptor drive unless I do all three raptor which I'm not gonna do. I'll see if the EVGA x58 bios is the same ( i forgot to mention I'm switching to the EVGA x58 board). If it is maybe I'll just do a raptor OS drive, 1 500g data drive and just back up to an external every now and then.

Thanks
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Intel i7 Storage