Sign in with
Your question

Problem after my latest system build.

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2008 3:13:26 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here so just want to say hi to everyone first!

So I've built a system for my little brother, put together all the hardware myself.

Here is the list:

motherboard
Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775, DDR2, ATX, GbLAN, PCI-Ex16

Memory:
Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5 Kit w/two matched CM2X1024A-6400 Dimm's

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Socket LGA775, 8MB, BOXED m/fan

Graphic Card:
XFX GeForce 8800GTS 600M 640MB XT GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 112-SP

Hard drive:
Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM

PSU
Apevia 500W, Transparent, Aluminium, Double UVBLUE-FAN, 2xSATA, ATX, 20/24pi

Now the system works well as a normal workstation, but my problems occur when playing, which sucks as it was meant as a gaming system. First I installed XP 64 bit but went back to the regular XP after a lot of BSOD and other bugs.

But back on XP 32 bit the problems still occur, with the game stalling and crashing, sometimes I get a BSOD and a restart other times it just crashes back to desktop.

I've downloaded and installed all the latest drivers (tried both the ones from the hardware manufacturers site and from the components site), flashed to the latest stable BIOS version.

And it has improved, now it's possible to play the games for a longer time before it crashes, all from 30 min to 3 h. A game like BF2 crashes within seconds of play whereas lost planet and counter-strike is on for 30min - 1 h before it crashes.

It underwent a hardware test, as I thought I got some faulty part or something, but they couldn't find anything wrong with the parts.

So I'm starting to wonder if there is a compatibility error in the parts. I am strongly suspecting that the memory I bought doesn't work with the motherboard, also another suspicion of mine is that it's the built-in audio card that's haunting.

Memory: Talked to a guy at uni, he told me that he had a hell with finding good working memory with his PK5 motherboard.
Audio: Sometimes when playing the sounds get all nasty, then the program that came with drivers pops up, and it shows that the speakers have been unplugged then plugged in again, But no BSOD those times.

So I'd appreciate it a lot if you guys could come with suggestions on what the problem is.

Much appreciated!
Krystian H.
January 2, 2008 3:50:01 PM

Power supply doesn't seem very good to me...I might be wrong. Also, did you properly remove the old drivers? There may still be traces.
January 2, 2008 4:02:22 PM

Hi akifuddin, yes all the old drivers were removed before installing the newer versions. After checking the power supply I discovered something:

Apevia states on their homepage that it gives out 34 A at a max and normaly 25A on the +12V rail, but when I checked the specs on the PSU it said 18A on the +12V.

And my card requires a minimum of 400W with 12V 26A.

So could the problem be this easy? Now I feel kind of cheated that the products do not meet the specs that they say they do. Cheating like this is illegal in sweden.

I hope this doesn't hurt the video card, as that would just suck big time. Might even report this to the authorities if that is the case.

Also what power supply do you recommend using, bare in mind that I am thinking of running a SLI set up in the future.
Related resources
January 2, 2008 4:14:03 PM

Could you attempt to run the system for awhile with a more powerfull PSU to see if thats it? Could you be having temperature problems?
January 2, 2008 4:21:31 PM

ImajorI: The temperatures are acceptable: with the CPU never going over 40 Celsius and the graphic card peeking at 70 Celsius (read that people have reached well over 80 without any crashes) so it seems that it isn't a heat problem.

Have a lot of fans cooling the system, one in front of the Graphic card as well. The system temperature when idle is 26 Celsius and goes up to around 30-32 Celsius when playing.

The problem with a more powerful PSU is that I would have to get a new one as that is the strongest one I have at home. Might as friends, they might have one I could borrow for a couple of hours.
January 2, 2008 4:33:59 PM

I'm no expert, but borrowing a PSU for a couple of hours seems like a simple inexpensive first step.
January 2, 2008 6:48:22 PM

indeed, now I just have to find someone with a power supply like that.
Finding one to borrow has become more difficult than I imagined.
!