B_Cox

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
I apologize for making this post if its been covered a million times already, i've searched google and TH's forums all day at work looking for an answer to no avail. If i missed something let me know, id rather read up then waste your time...

I will be building a new i7 rig, and this is pretty much my last obstacle. I will be using this new computer to game, as well as hold onto documents, music and some light video editing.

I was wondering how to go about setting up my storage drives, as there seem to be a few decent options:

Option 1: 2 500GB-ish drives in RAID 0
I heard this will help with some load times with gaming, and allow me to save, etc. faster

Option 2: 1 80GB drive (raptor) for OS (vistax64) and another 1TB for storage
I was told this would optimize vista's loading speed for programs

Option 3: 1 TB storage drive
this would be cheapest

My question is, would i notice a difference with the first 2 options over the simple storage drive to make it worth it?

Huttfuzz

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Option one is the fastest but data could be lost. If a disk failure happens, you lose your OS installation AND all your save files. Personnaly i think option 2 seems the more appropriate

You might feel that you are short on Installation space with 80 GB. Don't forget that games can reach 7 GB now.

Take a look at the Velociraptor 150 MB and a Samsung F1 1TB. You could even put a 750 GB to save a bit.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
^+1

The 74gb raptors are old now and beaten by most new gen hdds

Velociraptors are the way to go at 150 or 300gb... WD blacks are one of the fastest additional drives.