Comnparing quality of cables, component RCA HDMI/DVI

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 7, 2005 5:35:41 PM

Does anybody know or is there anywhere on the web that tells the quality of
all the different cables? Cables - red, white, yellow cables (don't know the
proper name), component cables (purple, green, blue), s-video, HDMI/DVI.

I assume that HDMI/DVI are equivalent in quality.

Also my significant other argues that we can use good quality red, white,
yellow cables for component cables as all they do is pass a signal through
the wire. Any comments?

noone
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 5:35:42 PM

nonone wrote:
> Does anybody know or is there anywhere on the web that tells the quality of
> all the different cables? Cables - red, white, yellow cables (don't know the
> proper name), component cables (purple, green, blue), s-video, HDMI/DVI.
>
> I assume that HDMI/DVI are equivalent in quality.
>
> Also my significant other argues that we can use good quality red, white,
> yellow cables for component cables as all they do is pass a signal through
> the wire. Any comments?

Not generally true. Video signals need to be passed through 75 ohm
cable. Most cheap audio cables do not match that impedance. However, it
is quite possible to buy inexpensive component video cables - there is no
need to spend a lot of money on a "name" brand. Walmart can be a good
source, and there are many web vendors who sell them cheaply as well.
June 7, 2005 5:35:42 PM

On Tue, 07 Jun 2005 13:35:41 GMT, "nonone" <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

>Does anybody know or is there anywhere on the web that tells the quality of
>all the different cables? Cables - red, white, yellow cables (don't know the
>proper name), component cables (purple, green, blue), s-video, HDMI/DVI.
>
>I assume that HDMI/DVI are equivalent in quality.
>
>Also my significant other argues that we can use good quality red, white,
>yellow cables for component cables as all they do is pass a signal through
>the wire. Any comments?

Digital cables either work or they don't. If you see a clear picture
with a $10 cable, then a $100 cable won't make any difference in
quality.

Component cables should be 75 ohm, but in short lengths it really
doesn't make a difference.

Personally I think "Monster" and other high-end cables are a total
rip-off.
!