gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi there, dont know if anyone can advise?

I have just upgraded my E6700 to a Q6700. When I overclocked my E6700 with the ASUS Bios Utility I managed to get 3.2ghz with no problem, accept for the temperature increase. I was running 2gb 667mhz ram at that point. My new setup is now a Q6700, as I said, but I have increased my RAM to Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL4(4-4-4-12) E.P.P. Technology Heat Spreader Lifetime Warranty, and things aint what they used to be!

Firstly, I cannot get past 2.8ghz on the CPU without the computer freezing (temp not above 42deg so not overheating) forcing a restart or at worse a CMOS clear and secondly the timings for the ram are stated as 4-4-4-12, whatever that is, and in cpu-z is saying nothing like it. It states

Dram frequency 399.1 Mhz
FSB:Dram 2:3
Cas#Latency (CL) 5.0 clocks
Ras# to Cas# Delay (tRCD) 4 clocks
Ras#Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 17clocks
Bank Cycle Time 21 clocks

As you can see 4-4-4-12 dont appear anywhere?

You may also of gathered that my computer hardware skills are novice thats why I let the ASUS Bios handle the overclocking for me.

I really am confused and starting to think that upgrading was a bad idea

My Setup is:
Asus P5N32-SLI Premium
Zotac 8800GTS 512mb AMP Edition
800w SLI PSU (700w constant)
2x250GB Hard drives
Ram as stated above
CPU as stated above
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 CPU Cooler
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Samsung 22" W/S 2ms Monitor
LG Blu-Ray/HD DVD Combo Drive
Sony DVD RW Drive
Bose Desktop Speakers

If I have missed anything please ask

Thanks for any advice.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I would not know where to start manually overclocking, would imagine that I would end up with the same problem, only me thats caused it!?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
You have to set memory fsb ratio to 1:1 instead of 2:3. That 800mhz ddr2 cannot overclock to 1200mhz, such big ram oc is impossible. Run it at native 800mhz, and you'll be fine.

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks dagger........now if you could explain how to get a fsb ratio of 1:1 and switch the ram to 800mhz, in idiot proof terms, then that would be great! Thanks

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Have you thought or reading the Mobo manual and Googling FSB ratio.

Gooling your Mobo and the word overclock after it?

Then reading for a day or so, you'll figure it out.

PaCanc

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
The DRAM readings you are talking about in CPUz are the current ones (the ones that are set right now).

To see the memory profiles (the 4-4-4-12 that you are looking for), go to the next tab in CPUz. That's where you'll see what the RAM is capable of.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, Gotta love it. Number 1, it's not even a 680i, its a 590i! Keep that in mind first,. We can only hope that it doesn't OC as BAD as the 680i, which is the next step up. I have one, its a p5n32-E sli. The e is the upgrade from his board. And they totally blow 90% of the time, and the other 10% get normal OCs from em. Very odd. The one I had didnt OC for $hit, and I tend to almost know what I am doing!

Anyways, now if you wanna post your BIOS screen shots, with everything set to manual, so it "opens" the rest of the options, then someone or myself can easily help you.

Also, be prepared for it not to work!

Or you could be one of the 10 %.

To select 1:1 ratio, you need to set AI ocing to manual, then go into front side bus and mem configuration, put it on "linked" mode, and then manually select the memory ratio, it will have one that says "sync mode." Select that.

That will have your RAM run at its native speed, because the front side bus limits the data throughput anyways.

Like now, you have a 266 FSB naturally with that processor. So in Sync mode, since your ram can only send data as fast as the bus it sends it on, the FSB, it will run at double the FSB. 533. Thats 266 FSB's native memory bus bandwidth.

Since each chip is running that that speed. you get your double data rate.

IE, you will want to set the FSB to 400 if possible, and reduce the multiplier to x8 for 3.2 Ghz, or x9 for 3.6 Ghz.

Now Download the program called Core Temp, and run it, then look for the field that reads VID, and then list what it's value is here when you next get the chance.

Later young ones!

--Lupi

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Thanks for the advice Lupiron......just a couple of things that am a bit confused about. You said that the board is not a good overclocker yet I have overclocked successfully at 120% with no problem (3.2ghz) on my old setup so it would seem that I may have one of the 10% that do overclock. Secondly you advised me to look at some things in the Bios, sadly they dont exist in my Bios........bummer. I would post the screens I am seeing but cant seem to add them to the post here??

In AI Overclocking there is no option to "sync" anything or change the multiplier so looks like I am still stuffed

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Well thanks for all the advice........cant say I understood most of it lol. I have decided to just be boring and keep things stock. Just ran a 3dmark06 on my comp and it returned a score of 12455, dont know if thats good or bad but it will have to do.

Thinking of upgrading to a Asus Striker Extreme II 780i DDR3 MoBo, any thoughts??

cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I think that board is a tad expensive for what it offers. Unless reference boards bother you, go for the XFX or EVGA 780i boards. I think ASUS offers one other 780i board if you simply want ASUS, check their website. I'm running an XFX 780i and its awesome. Oh and if I'm correct there isn't a DDR3 780i motherboard, the 790i handles DDR3, and in that case the money you'd spend on a 790i plus the RAM is totally not worth it. Wait to use DDR3 when the prices drop and Nehalem comes out.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
It's not in AI overclocking, you have to turn AI over clocking to Manual, then find your Front side bus and memory configuration.

You have to host the images at Photobucket.com first, then toss the image link it gives you in here.

Anyways... lemme look for your boards Bios...

Looks like its Jumper free config, then Frequency control..

Disable FSB and Memory turbo mode for now.

Set system clock mode to manual.

There is your FSB control, and your memory mode and speed control. Set the new mem speed for Sync mode. And it will show your new mem speed at half the FSB.

Since its QDR, thats 4 x FSB. 1600 QDR would bring 400 FSB, and in sync mode, your RAM should be 800 Mhz. (400 each for double data rate.)

So just watch for the new speed. If its a 4th of QDR, kewl!

Good Luck!

--Lupi

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Ok Lupiron lets see what happens. Will go into ther Bios and have a twiddle and will let you know what happens (gulp!). Thanks for the advice about how to insert an image too.