Sign in with
Your question

Penryn ~ Anyone know the release date?

Last response: in CPUs
January 14, 2008 12:57:48 AM

I've been waiting to build my pc for about a half a year now and I just cant wait any longer. Anyone know the release date for this? Does it make scene to just buy something now with a mobo/ram that will be compatable with the penryn?

Right now these are the things I have....

2 x PNY 8800GTS 512MB
2 X 150GB WD Raptors
1 X 1TB WD External Drive
1 X Fatal1ty X-Fi XtremeGamer
1 X Logitech MX5000 (Keyboard/Mouse)
1 X Dell 2405
1 X Case

More about : penryn release date

January 14, 2008 1:02:14 AM

Just look around, everyone is talking about it. The dual cores (Wolfdale) are starting to trickle into retailers. Look for them here in about a week. The mainstream quad cores (Yorkfield) are still a few months off from what I hear.
a c 478 à CPUs
January 14, 2008 1:07:35 AM

Duo Core Penryns (Wolfdale) => January 20th

Quad Core Penryns (Yorkfield) = > Most likely March '08. If not later.
Related resources
January 14, 2008 2:01:21 AM

Best as I understood, there is a quad-core Yorkfield already out, the QX9650, though it costs about $1200. Just the thing for the rich and famous.
a c 478 à CPUs
January 14, 2008 2:05:38 AM

Okay, to be more specific, non-extreme versions of Yorkfield.

I recently spent $1,200+ for my monitor, I don't want to spend another $1,200+ for a CPU.
January 14, 2008 2:22:23 AM

Neither do I. I'm not a member of the rich and famous crowd yet. Still waiting for that winning lottery ticket. So I guess we'll wait for Yorkfields in the price area that the rest of us can afford.
January 14, 2008 2:23:52 AM

i heard yorkfield was around mid february to early march
January 14, 2008 3:12:34 AM

imrul said:
i heard yorkfield was around mid february to early march

If AMD doesnt show signs of a pulse soon, the new yorkies may be out in the next decade. :( 
January 14, 2008 3:16:19 AM

Hard to say. Intel announced a few weeks ago that it was delaying some chips because of lack of competition from AMD. http://tomshardware.com/2007/12/19/intel_delays_three_q...

So I would guess March or later, as Jaguarskx noted earlier. Intel is not in any need to produce the chips earlier, as there is no present competition from AMD, and may in fact delay them in further. Its one of those things we won't know for sure until it happens.
January 14, 2008 4:45:20 AM

Here is a follow up to my post. I don't know if I should post it here but any input would be helpful.

Dell is running this deal, which you can see on slick deals....
Dell EPP XPS 420: Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, BluRay Reader/DVD Burner, 512MB nVidia 8800GT, 15-Months AV, Vista Home Premium $936

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=715067

Now my question is.....

I have a few questions about this system.

1) I don't think I want the Vista on it, which comes with it. Now, I know dell is tricky with their window installations and you cant put your own on there, but if I get rid of their 500gb hard drive that comes with it and use two 150gb raptors sitting at home would that work?

2) The mobo that comes inside this, if I sell the 8800gt that comes inside of it, can I fit two 8800 GTS?

3) I have an Aduio X-fi Gaming card would this work for it to?

The reason why I ask all this, I was going to wait for the penryn but I cant wait anymore. I have two 8800gts a few hard drives and audio card. I was thinking of just buying my own Combo CPU/Ram?mobo but this deal might be worth it. Any in punt please let me know.
January 14, 2008 5:22:23 AM

I would recommend Evga models over the PNY models for your video cards.
January 14, 2008 1:54:09 PM

arods83 said:
Dell EPP XPS 420: Core 2 Quad Q6600, 3GB DDR2, 500GB HDD, BluRay Reader/DVD Burner, 512MB nVidia 8800GT, 15-Months AV, Vista Home Premium $936

I have a few questions about this system.

1) I don't think I want the Vista on it, which comes with it. Now, I know dell is tricky with their window installations and you cant put your own on there, but if I get rid of their 500gb hard drive that comes with it and use two 150gb raptors sitting at home would that work?

2) The mobo that comes inside this, if I sell the 8800gt that comes inside of it, can I fit two 8800 GTS?

3) I have an Aduio X-fi Gaming card would this work for it to?

The reason why I ask all this, I was going to wait for the penryn but I cant wait anymore. I have two 8800gts a few hard drives and audio card. I was thinking of just buying my own Combo CPU/Ram?mobo but this deal might be worth it. Any in punt please let me know.

Ok, I owned a Dell some years ago and this is based on that experience.

1. Changing hard drives and the OS should be no problem. The new OS should recognize and install most of the hardware. If needed, you can get necessary drivers from the Dell website. It might be a good idea to go to the Dell website on you present computer and loading the needed drivers to a CD beforehand, so you don't have to waste time later looking for them later.

2. Depends on if Dell's mobo accepts two cards, otherwise it should work without problem.

3. I installed an Audigy in mine without problem.

I should stress that just because I didn't have problems with these thigns doesn't guarentee that you won't. Also, be aware that you will void the warrenty on the Dell if you do it.
January 14, 2008 2:29:07 PM

I highly doubt you'll be able to run those two video cards in SLI on that Dell. In fact, reading the linked post says that Dell uses P35 motherboards for that model so that means that absolutely NO you will NOT be able to use your two NVidia cards in SLI in that Dell machine.
January 14, 2008 2:32:04 PM

Oh man I cant use the SLI in there, that stinks, that basically sums up my answer about getting the xps
January 14, 2008 2:43:53 PM

yep! that gts is it the 512 mb version? then i can follow why you want the sli
January 14, 2008 2:46:24 PM

The 512mb is the GTS version and I want to do SLI
January 14, 2008 2:51:55 PM

arods83 said:
The 512mb is the GTS version and I want to do SLI

Might be better to look for a different computer in that case. You get to replacing too much stuff and suddenly you've got so much money into it that you could have built one anyway.
January 14, 2008 2:56:31 PM

I haven't had any experience with dell, however I can tell you that my mother has a sony laptop and we tried to get XP on there, there were absolutely NO xp drivers for her hardware, there was some basic functionality but not enough to actually use it.
January 14, 2008 2:59:36 PM

I just called into dell, if I want to do SLI I need to get the 720 and there is no deal on that one. I think Im just going to buy a mobo now with ram and a cpu
January 14, 2008 3:02:46 PM

good idea! i don't get it, if you have already all that stuff, you wanted to spend more money for a lesser system!
January 14, 2008 3:08:33 PM

I was thinking of selling the dell system in three months once penryn comes out. So really using it as a lease but it just dosnt make scene now. I'll just get a CPU now and sell it down the road and ill get Ram/MObo thats configured with the penryn when it comes out.
January 14, 2008 6:03:15 PM

smart
January 14, 2008 11:41:34 PM

sailer said:
Intel is not in any need to produce the chips earlier, as there is no present competition from AMD, and may in fact delay them in further. Its one of those things we won't know for sure until it happens.

but dont they hav to keep up with moor's law?
January 15, 2008 2:06:18 PM

imrul said:
but dont they hav to keep up with moor's law?

It's not actually a law :??:  They're not going to get arrested or anything.
January 15, 2008 4:46:30 PM

306maxi said:
It's not actually a law :??:  They're not going to get arrested or anything.

They might get charged under the Othello statute. :pt1cable: 
January 15, 2008 5:53:43 PM

Somebody in this thread said "DELL".....

GET THE TORCHES!!!!! >=)
!