Sign in with
Your question

Looking for DVD drive that is quiet on boot up

Last response: in Storage
December 17, 2008 7:02:05 PM

Hey,

I'm looking for a DVD drive, preferably burner, that is as quiet as can be during boot up. Most of the ones I've used sofar produce a whirring sound that's too loud for my taste during boot up (they're fine when idling it's just the boot up that's pretty obnoxious).

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

More about : dvd drive quiet boot

December 17, 2008 7:09:05 PM

are you booting from the DVD??? as Zip said, mine is silent unless I have a disk in it.
a c 311 G Storage
December 17, 2008 7:35:17 PM

Something doesn't sound right.

I have a Plextor SATA optical drive. It does not make any noise when the pc boots. The power led comes on briefly and that's it. I also build pc's for friends, neighbors, and girlfriends. Never had a cd-rom disc drive, dvd drive, or optical drive make noise when the pc starts.
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 17, 2008 7:58:06 PM

Girlfriends! No wonder you are called JohnnyLucky!
December 17, 2008 8:04:47 PM

If your CD/DVD drive makes so much noise that it bothers you...

A) You may have an inner ear problem you need to see a doctor about

B) Your CPU / Case fans aren't working and therefore aren't drowning out the sound of your CD/DVD drive.

C) There's a serious problem with your CD/DVD Drive.
a b G Storage
December 17, 2008 8:26:30 PM

jerreece said:
If your CD/DVD drive makes so much noise that it bothers you...

A) You may have an inner ear problem you need to see a doctor about

B) Your CPU / Case fans aren't working and therefore aren't drowning out the sound of your CD/DVD drive.

C) There's a serious problem with your CD/DVD Drive.

D) You have a disk in it.
December 17, 2008 8:52:13 PM

Well thanks to johnny.

To everyone else:

a) There is no disk in it
b) the drives are pretty old so that might be part of it
c) they are only really loud for a few seconds up until about when windows start to load
d) yes, I am very picky
a b G Storage
December 17, 2008 9:33:58 PM

Get a new one. Any new one. Preferably SATA.

It shouldn't make any noise at all - I've never seen one that did. Are you even sure it's the DVD drive? My HD4870x2 cranks the fan up pretty high before windows starts to boot.
December 17, 2008 11:42:34 PM

DVD drives don't make noise unless there's a disk in it on boot up or when you access the drive in Windows. My DVD burner makes a hell of a ruckus when it's reading at 22x but it doesn't make a sound on boot up or if it's empty.
December 18, 2008 3:34:38 AM

Heya,

I'm on board with the OP. I hate unnecessary noise. I will totally throw something out that is just noisy, even if it works well (or at least give it away). Sounds to me though that the CD/DVD drive he's using is basically old and something is up with it. I use a cheapy CD/DVD-R and so long as there's no disc in it, it's completely quiet and never spins up. When a disc is in it, I can totally hear it (and I go so far as to basically copy any disc put in there, no matter what, so I don't have to hear it at all).

Time for a new drive.

Cheers,
December 18, 2008 3:45:45 AM

BoBz89 said:

b) the drives are pretty old so that might be part of it

Yeah if the thing is old, it's probably going to make a bunch of noise. They get dirty, and stuff wears out for sure. And since lots of folks tend to re-use their CD/DVD drives when they upgrade each year or so... well the optical drives tend to get old!

Probably just time to get something new.
!