What happens when you damage a CPU from OC?

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
So I think i pushed my E2180 a bit to hard, i had 3ghz stable for about a month and then as of a few days ago i started getting BSOD's corrupt files, and program crashes across the board.

Does this sound typical of a processor that has been damaged?

I had to push my vcor to 1.45 up from 1.325 to get 3ghz to be sable. im still crashing at 2.66ghz which was stable with no vcor mod when i first got it.

Nothing else in the system is OCed.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
erm it could be defective CPU or mobo. thats nothing called hard. i pushed E2180 to 3Ghz with 1.5Vcore and 2months down the line its still running healthy. try reset everything back to stock. if still BSOD RMA is your route.

G

i'm having similar problem... I have a e6420 @ 3.2 ghz at 1.31 volts (default for me) and it was completely stable... now i'm getting tons of crashes and what not like nowwhatnapster.... I think its definitely hardware related because now that i reset everything to default it doesn't have the bsods when just booting up anymore...

is the processor faulty? overheating? I don't know what to do... i've noticed a significant drop in performance =(

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
yea.. im running everything stock right now to see if i get crashes. So far so good. Maybe ill run orthos to retest my stable clocks. Could be my mobo i did push the FSB to 375 for awhile. either way i have a feeling its either the mobo or the CPU.

My temps seem fine, i have them shown on my g15 display, i never go over 62 on anything, which is acceptable to me.

but i was crashing while browsing the internet and playing music, which seems to be hardware OC issues.

If your processor fails or becomes 'damaged', your system will lock and fail to boot to BIOS until you replace it with a working processor. You could possibly have corrupted your OS by having it crash so often. More likely you need to bump the voltage up to your RAM and NB to achieve system stability.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Exactly, cpu tend to either go completely or work fine.

It could be os corruption. Or motherboard issues. Pushing a low performing chipset too hard can cause problems like those. And most people don't pay attention to chipset temperature, just cpu temperature.

zipz0p

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008

62C? That's WAY too hot for that CPU at stock... unless you've got it locked and sealed in a safe with no airflow...

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
i guess i got comfy with the 478 p4's hitting 70c+ and not crapping out. :)

Oh well. i think im stuck reloading my os to start ; ;.

Guess ill switch to 64-bit xp anyways, needed to do that, loosing out on 512mb of my 4gb ram.

If crashing still occures then i guess mobo or cpu got F'd. Everything stock and im still crashing in various programs.

G

70C is the highest Intel says to take their newer chips. As a general rule when OCing, if my chip hits 60C during a stress test, I stop the OCing there and don't go higher.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007

you are the most conservative guy i have seen in this forum. maybe that will last you 10 years maybe?are you planning to keep it that long? :lol:

nowwhatnapster

Distinguished
May 13, 2008
no big surprize here.

Here is an update as to what happend. Program crashes stopped completely. System seemed stable for a week. Then the last 2 days I got system restarts and hangs while i was AFK. And tonight, it didnt turn back on after a hard reset.

Cleared the CMOS, unplugged perhiprials, took out all but 1 stick of ram, and still no video display at all. Sadly i do not have another vid card to test with. All i have are agp's.

Any thought? I guess i should plug a speaker into the board and hear if I get any beeps. Seems like its locked up permantly. RMA the mobo to newegg on monday i guess.