Does quad sli work for 7950gx2

tenpastseven

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I have gotten my hands on two gx2's and wondering if they can perform well in sli as in quad gpus running. I have seen mixed reviews on its performance and it usually comes down to other components such as cpu and having a high def monitor to replicate the high end resolutions that the 2xgx2's replicate.

Anyone have any info on this or is the 7950gx2 not able to perform well as a quad sli.

If there are certain conditions on which quad sli is possible with these two gx2's can somone list them for me please.

This will be my first build for a comp also=)

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
your onto a loser there mate, the only review i looked at was in a uk pc magazine i chucked away long ago and it said quad sli with the gx2s absolutely stunk. If i remember correctly, only F.E.A.R used all four gpus. Despite what is said the single gx2 was a good card, if its your first build stick with that for a time, see how you do, and stick the other one on ebay.

Heres one review.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/graphics/review/2006/06/12/nVidia-GeForce-7950-GX2/p1

SLI support in games is alot better now then it was when this card came out plus it should run in a motherboard that doesnt support sli. Someone else should confirm this though just to be safe. Overall you would have a card somewhere between an x1950xtx (top single gpu dx9 card) and a 320mb 8800gts (slowest non-pathetic dx10 card, sorry 8600gts owners, your cards are overpriced poo).

tenpastseven

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2008
I read on some review today (cant find it now) that 2xGX2's in sli does work amazingly when you have really high resolutions in a big ass monitor but does not perform well on lower resolutions. Why would this be? And would that mean that its great performance in higher resolutions makes it one hell of a setup? In comparison to some single 8 series cards.