Sign in with
Your question

New heatsink for Q6600, any good clip on ones?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
June 27, 2008 11:54:56 AM

Hi guys, I'm getting temps of around 55C idle and around 70C load on my Q6600 with the stock heatsink. I have a P35C-DS3R mobo. I want to get a new heatsink but am not too keen on removing the mobo to secure in a backboard. Are there any good heatsinks that I can clip on like I did with the stock one? Thanks for all your help. Ant.

More about : heatsink q6600 good clip

June 27, 2008 12:11:49 PM

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is quite decent. I usually buy my processors without cooler and get the AC7 Pro since it's rather cheap and a lot better than the boxed cooler.
Recently i installed a Xigmatet 12-something. The cooling was quite impressive since the Overclocked 3Ghz Q6600 not even came close to 50C° under full load. The room was rather cool though and it was a huge hassle to get it installed even though it uses Push pins, just like the AC7 Pro.
Related resources
June 27, 2008 12:31:03 PM

natastna2 said:
Hi guys, I'm getting temps of around 55C idle and around 70C load on my Q6600 with the stock heatsink. I have a P35C-DS3R mobo. I want to get a new heatsink but am not too keen on removing the mobo to secure in a backboard. Are there any good heatsinks that I can clip on like I did with the stock one? Thanks for all your help. Ant.

Sounds like one clip isnt in correctly, or your case isnt sufficent for the cpu and its power/thermal requirements etc.

Why does everyone hate the push pin design anyhow? There fine - IF you know what your doing, which in this industry a lot of people THINK they do but really dont have a clue.

During assembly its best to install any stock 775 hsf onto the motherboard before you install the motherboard into the case etc.
June 27, 2008 12:41:36 PM

This is the number that you want to beat.
Thermal Resistance: 0.17°C/Watt
Anything higher is a waste of your money.
If this number is not given, move along.

Oh by the way this is from the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, $32 retail.

This is the number that you want to beat.
Thermal Resistance: 0.17°C/Watt
Anything higher is a waste of your money.
If this number is not given, move along.

Oh by the way this is from the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, $32 retail.
$34 shipped

XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
Thermal Resistance 0.16°C/Watt
$44 shipped

$10 for .01 Degrees C/W at best a cooling of 2 Degrees C, to me it's not worth the hassle of install and expense.

Scythe SCINF-1000 120mm CPU Cooler Thermal Resistance unknown price higher than prior units of know capability.

Tuniq Tower 120 P4 & K8 CPU Cooler
Thermal Resistance 0.16 - 0.21 °C / W from web site, $57.58 delivered.
Again over priced and a pain in the ass installation.

Bang for buck winner here, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.
Why bother with anything else?

A post script to the above:

XIGMATEK has a new unit out the Xigmatek Achilles S1284 for $45 before shipping.
Thermal Resistance 0.14°C/Watt
This may be the new big boy on the block.
$52 shipped from;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With instalation of the XIGMATEK' being so problematic and almost requiring the axtra mounting bracket,
that costs an extra $10. I would still go for the Freezer 7 Pro.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
June 27, 2008 12:43:56 PM

Apache, I'm inclined to agree with you. You might appreciate my .sig.
I mount my HSF before putting the mobo in the case, and I check to make sure the pins are all the way through and have spread to the locked position. This may take enough pressure that it is also a lot safer to do before the mobo is mounted; you can support it better so it doesn't flex. A roll of tape is a good size to use.
@OP, check your airflow. A great heatsink won't help much if little air is moving through it.
June 27, 2008 12:57:30 PM

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. 39$
Just got it yesterday.
Dropped the temps from ~40 Idle and ~53 load (stock cooler) to 30 Idle and 38 load (temps read with CoreTemp)
bada*s overclock will follow :bounce: 
June 27, 2008 1:01:02 PM

+1 for the Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7

I had an Asus cooler which reviews said was good. Switched over with my OC'ed E6700 and dropped 8 degrees under load. Thats not bad for going from 1 aftermarket cooler to another.
June 27, 2008 1:02:32 PM

Ditto for the above suggestions - all make good points. I have built many computers over the years and tried just about every style of HSF - from the horizontal-to-motherboard orientations such as the Zalman CNPS7000B, to the column types such as the Gigabyte GH-PCU22, to the AC Freezer 7 Pro, and found the AC Freezer 7 Pro to be the best of the lot and the best overall value.

However, one of the most elegant cooling solutions, often overlooked in the threads, is to begin with a good case with good ventilation flow-through/air exchange. I have found that a good case with at least a 92mm fan-equipped Chassis Air Guide (CAG), will equal or trump even an ACF 7 Pro, plus provide cooling for the northbridge, caps around the cpu, memory modules, and power supply - all without having to buy an expensive aftermarket cpu HSF. Of course, you might have to purchase a fan for the CAG, depending on the case.

Just my 2 cents...
June 27, 2008 1:12:38 PM

Before getting a new HeatSink............

Are you OCing? Do you want to OC?
Have you tried manually setting your CPU Voltage?
You can often lower it and reduce the power usage quite a bit.
June 27, 2008 1:41:38 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll go with the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro. Seems to be fairly easy to install and it gets great reviews. Another quick question. When I remove the old cooler, can i just wipe the old paste off the top of the cpu with a tissue, put a pea sized lump in the middle and then put the heatsink on?
June 27, 2008 1:58:37 PM

natastna2 said:
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll go with the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro. Seems to be fairly easy to install and it gets great reviews. Another quick question. When I remove the old cooler, can i just wipe the old paste off the top of the cpu with a tissue, put a pea sized lump in the middle and then put the heatsink on?

Kind of, sort of, but not really.

You need to fully clean off all of the old paste. And fully means more than just wiping it.

Arctic Silver makes a product for cleaning off paste...if you have yet to buy the cooler, your best bet is to buy a tube of both Arctic Silver 5, and a small tube of the cleaner.

Believe it or not, it does make a big difference in cooling if the surfaces were completely cleaned prior to a new paste being put on.
June 27, 2008 2:55:46 PM

OP can you tell me what kind of OC you are looking at. whats your final target speed. as those heatsink recommended about is all very good but some are inadequate.
June 27, 2008 3:33:42 PM

I'm not really looking at OCing for a while anyway. When I do, I won't be looking for an OC of more than 3GHZ, I think the Arctic cooling 7 should be fine for my needs.
June 27, 2008 3:39:16 PM

in that case ACF7P is enough for your need. hope you dont get addicted when you do OC!lol
June 27, 2008 4:20:50 PM

I can install TRUE heatsink and Sythe fan without removing Mobo and it is good
Maybe more pricy than others but it is the best ( Remember that the base needs lapping )
OSZ Freeze Extreme is the best TIM now
and remember that the best way to apply TIM is X mark
Use Real Temp 2.6 to check your temps
June 27, 2008 4:35:54 PM

The -best- air coolers for CPU/GPU/Chipset are made by Thermalright.
The -best- 120mm fan is the FM-121 made by Silverstone.
The FM-121 is 110qfpm...do not compare with the FN-121 which is not the same.

Use a tool called a Nibbler to remove the exit fan grill on your case and gain up to 80% airflow.
Even grills with "large holes" restrict airflow far more than you would think due to what called the air dam effect.

When cleaning the CPU -and- the new HS first use Acetone then 100% tech grade alcohol...wipe with a coffee filter befor using your TIM.

Cheap 99 cent silicon TIM works as well as $12 TIM so don't waste the money...the key is in the prep.
June 27, 2008 5:16:32 PM

OK, I don't have any acetone or pure alcohol but I read that baby wipes work well? Also I'm getting some mixed advice on how to apply the thermal paste. Do you just put a pea sized blob in the middle and squish it down or as Kad says, is an X shape the best way to go. Thanks again for all the help guys. Your advice is invaluable to me.
June 28, 2008 1:17:59 AM

the x mark is excessive amount if you have a lapped cpu and heatsink. but a dab will do if there are enough pressure to push all the thermal paste out. think of it its logical, if its got no free space in the middle anything(thermal paste) in the middle will get squash to the outside.
June 30, 2008 11:53:25 AM

natastna2 said:
Do you just put a pea sized blob in the middle and squish it down or as Kad says, is an X shape the best way to go. Thanks again for all the help guys. Your advice is invaluable to me.

You put a line of arctic silver.
Head over to their website and look at the pictures. (Core2Duo instructions are different than Core2Quad by the way.)
It depends on the shape and position of the core underneath.
June 30, 2008 2:00:26 PM

The Arctic cooling freezer pro 7 thing came with paste already applied so i left it on. Thanks again for all your help. Temps have gone from around 55- 60 idle and 70 load to 40 idle and 50 load. Thanks Ant.
!