Sign in with
Your question

XP boot up time

Last response: in Windows XP
June 6, 2010 11:30:57 PM

okay i was looking around on youtube and came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdImoBQLyKg&feature=rela...

this kids XP boots in 100 seconds.... mines boots up from the time i hit the power button to were it asks me for my pass word in 30 seconds... why would his boot a minute and 10 secs slower then mine?

and is 30 seconds a average, good, or bad boot up time?

My xp is sp2 x64 quad core processor @ 2.3 w/ 4MB of l2 and l3 and 4 gigs of ram is that good?

More about : boot time

June 7, 2010 12:55:00 AM

30 seconds is typical for a quad core processor, and that's good. Only-- the entire OS and all programs should be done in 30 seconds. You can speed that up by eliminating the requirement for the password, using a good security program that eats less system resources, eliminating unused or unnecessary programs from the drive.
What I mean by unnecessary is, for example AOL, multiple security programs, shopping programs, multiple media players, etc...
100 seconds is pretty good for a single core processor.
And yes, your system is darn good.
June 7, 2010 1:34:02 AM

yea I know I should take out the Password but its just a little something for me to feel safer ya know? And this is a GAMING ONLY rig, i have nothing on it other then Xfire COD4 MW2 Avast free and commodo firewall (i turn off the anti virus since i dont want any compatibility issues between commodo and avast)

Full system specs:

AMD quad 9650 True quad core 4MB @ 2.3GHz
MSI K9N2 SLI premium
9800GTX+ (SLI VERY SOON)
4 GB GEIL black dragon LED RAM (Soon to be 8 Gigs)
hec X PSU 650 SLI ready
750GB 7200 sata and sata optical

Antec 900two with side fan mod
Related resources
June 7, 2010 2:31:41 AM

There are a large number of things that can affect the boot time. Anything from BIOS settings, software/services that start with windows, hardware, and the size of files on your desktop.

Your 30 second boot time is pretty good.
June 7, 2010 4:16:02 PM

click my computer
click control panel
click add remove programs
look at the list of installed programs

most people can eliminate 10 or more from the list without noticing a difference.
as far as pass word, if that makes you feel safer, it's up to you. That's a very nice system joeyck. 30 second is, well, good.

If you want to look further into it, try downloading microsoft process explorer, you can kill a bunch of services and processes without noticing a difference, fun to experiment with.
June 7, 2010 5:44:55 PM

joeyck said:
okay i was looking around on youtube and came across this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdImoBQLyKg&feature=rela...

this kids XP boots in 100 seconds.... mines boots up from the time i hit the power button to were it asks me for my pass word in 30 seconds... why would his boot a minute and 10 secs slower then mine?

and is 30 seconds a average, good, or bad boot up time?

My xp is sp2 x64 quad core processor @ 2.3 w/ 4MB of l2 and l3 and 4 gigs of ram is that good?

100 seconds... you're spoiled. My machine takes over 2 minutes, but here's why...

When the machine is turned on, the mainboard BIOS has to do a POST (Power on self test)
which includes memory test (not a full test, just size) It has to check port availability (comm and printer ports),
add-on card BIOS's and the test they perform including drive controllers. I have 4 mirror raids running of 2 TB each
that must analyze the condition of the drives and report the findings as good or a re-build will be performed,
they don't actually scan each drive entirely, but can detect if a difference exist between the drives of the raid
and then deal with that. Video card must be determined and the list goes on an on, all before Windows starts.

Once Windows starts, it goes through it's own hardware scan looking for all hardware present and the drivers for
all that hardware and mark problem devices it finds (thus the yellow exclamation mark in device manager for problem hardware).
Windows has to build itself, starting services, loading startup programs and the like. Because the BIOS and Windows
has to detect and start hardware, it has to wait for that hardware to respond and this can take some time.
It isn't so much Windows is slow starting, it's the hardware Windows is waiting on that takes most of the time.
My machine has a dual-core CPU (AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400) but a super-fast CPU is dead in the water until all the other
hardware responds. Nearly 3 minutes for my machine to start... I'm not complaining, a lot was done in 3 minutes.

If your machine starts in 100 seconds, it is doing it's job. If a machine hangs for 20 minutes, something is wrong.
June 7, 2010 8:20:46 PM

Wow, that was perfect explanation and yea for me 100 secs to long mine loads up in 30 :D  woop
June 8, 2010 2:00:20 PM

In some bios versions, you can set it for skip self test, that might help too.
!