Help me choose which 22" monitor to buy

ACBrown

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
I'm looking at the Acer AL2216Wbd Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor (230.00 at Newegg)

Or,

The well known Samsung 226BW (320.00 at Newegg- no free shipping, uhg!).

The price difference is pretty big. I definately want the 2MS for gaming (which is what I'm particularly interested in), but does 90 dollars justify that? If I could just find the 226BW for 270 or 280, I would go with it. But it looks like all the deals are gone right now.

Anyway, should I wait for a deal or go ahead and snag the Acer?

Thanks,

Austin

MagicPants

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
The difference between 2 and 5 ms is negligible. It's a rating in the best case of the fastest aspect of response time. There are many other factors that limit the true response time of the monitors much more than 3 ms. 2 ms means TN which means 18 bit color not 24 bit. Although the acer is TN as well so that's not a deciding factor.

I do hear the 226bw is a good monitor if you are lucky enough to get a real one, considering most of them are manufactured by other companies.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
Im in exact same delima. From what I have read in forums etc, the samsung 226 bw is probably the best 22" screen among other like Benq, Veiwsonic, dell etc. I dont know how the acer screens are though. Again from what I have read, I dont think there is really a BIG difference or issue between 2ms (that the 226bw has) or the 5ms (all other 22" seem to have). The main thing to look out for is ghosting while gaming, but dont know if acer or others are equally good. Hopefully some others will post who have it.

ACBrown

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Hmmm, the whole A or S panel thing sounds pretty annoying. It definately gives me pause. Thanks guys.

Anyone else? Shoot, just tell me what I should get for solid gaming.

Thanks,

Austin

eck

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005

You can avoid the panel crapshoot by getting a Samsung 226CW like I did. They're a little bit more expensive, but all of the CWs have the S panel. They also have a higher color gamut. I absolutely love mine.

windie

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007

how much more of an expensive bit are we looking at ?

ginbong46

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
i read a article on bit-tech i think it was where they actually compared a A, C, S, and P panel on the 226BW..

and most people are just freaking out psychologically when the monitors are virtually identical after a calibration.

there are heaps of calibration files around the net, get of your asses and just look for them and stop bagging samsung for using multiple panels..

all big companies do this, if you dont like it GO BUY FROM A SMALLER COMPANY

oswold

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I found choosing a moniter very confusing, as there are so many nitpicky things that pompous enthusiasts look for, and I had no idea what they meant and I dont think they did either.

I just picked out a cheapish Acer AL2202W from Currys (with staff discount) that ended up at £110, and I'm perfectly happy with it. I might notice its flaws if I put it side by side another technically superior 22" moniter, but when would that happen. I dont even know anyone else in my area who likes PCs like I do, let alone the chamces of me going and stealing thier moniter for comparison.

grdntral

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
To: Dragonspraye
RE: Monitor for sale

I would be interested in knowing more about your 22" monitor for sale.
Kathleen