Seagate freeagent slow read speed

JArch3r

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Summary:
XP Sp3, Seagate FreeAgent Dessktop 1TB, USB, 1MB/s read speed

Deatails:
I just purchased a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 1Tb drive and connected it to my laptop. I started copying some large files over and noticed that the speed was very slow, much slower than something "slow" should be.
I did notice that when I plugged the drive in (via USB) it told me that I was not using a Hi-Speed port. I assume that means I'm using USB 1.1 (instead of 2.0). The laptop I am on is an alienware that I bought back in 2004, well after USB 2.0 was released (and I am running XP SP3). Yet I have been unable to update to 2.0 successfully. (I read that a windows update should do it but I saw nothing in any category under a custom update.)
I ran a test with HD Tach and my Burst Speed, Average Speed, and Sequential Read Speed ended up coming in all at 1 MB/s.
I've been excited about finally getting a large external drive, and this is quite a let down. I usually don't have problems troubleshooting, but I'm not able to come up with any answers for this. Does anyone have an idea as to what could be causing the 1 MB/s read speed?
One other problem is that when booting my laptop, if I have the external drive connected to my laptop, my laptop will not boot. It just hangs before reaching the Windows boot screen. (In BIOS my first boot device is my internal hd, and #2 is none.) Is there a way around this or do I have to unplug it everytime I boot?
Thank you for any help.

JArch3r

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
To any interested, I have solved my problem. XP drivers for USB 2.0 are only obtainable thru Windows Update, which was not working for me. Updating drivers in my Device Manager did not work either and I had no 'Non working hardware'.

I reformatted and the USB 2.0 driver appeared. I'm surprised this fix required a reformat but I couldn't get anything else to work.

Cheers.