Making database on Windows XP?

WindowsXPdatabase

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Hi, I'd like to know how to make like, I've got 4 computers. One has Windows XP and I would like to make it the server and that server would store the files of the other 3 as well as its own. Is that possible? And if so, how? I know windows server would be way more recommended for that but I've ran in some trouble with it...

Any computer with any Operating System can be a server but those of us who eroutinely set them up probably tend to prefer a Linux OS for security. There's certainly no need to buy Windows Server 2003 or 2008 because XP is quite adequate for your needs. Once they're networked and you map that network to the main drive on the one you choose as server, all the files can be saved back there after use. That, in turn, makes backup more crucial than ever so you must have a strong routine for doing it. Make a Scheduled Task to back everything up automatically a short while after close of business, back up to an external drive, have someone remain to make sure the backup completed successfully and have that person take the drive home and put it in a decent safe. The built-in Windows backup is adequate and works incrementally.

If the office catches fire, the external will melt as fast as all the other stuff. :(