Sync handheld directly to a server, without a desktop PC

April 21, 2004 12:38:34 PM

Apologies if this is an FAQ. I'm wondering why PDA devices
that have 'real' IP connectivity (typically via 802.11b)
are still designed such that syncing of calendar/tasks
must be done via a desktop PC. This seems totally broken to me.
I want to have my PDA talk directly to some server (either
a corporate server, or a web calendar such as Yahoo).
I don't want to use a desktop PC for calendar, nor
do I want to be forced to use a particular PIM on the
desktop. Nor do I want to be forced to associate my PDA
with a specific, single PC. I have 15 computers and I'm
often in places where I have no connectivity to those
machines, but I'm almost always in a place where I have
connectivity to the public 'net.

Do any of the PDA vendors support anything like this today ?

I checked Palm's web site and can find nothing that looks
like this.

Thanks.
Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:25:05 AM

On 21 Apr 2004 08:38:34 -0700, david_news@boreham.org (David Boreham)
wrote:

>Apologies if this is an FAQ. I'm wondering why PDA devices
>that have 'real' IP connectivity (typically via 802.11b)
>are still designed such that syncing of calendar/tasks
>must be done via a desktop PC. This seems totally broken to me.
>I want to have my PDA talk directly to some server (either
>a corporate server, or a web calendar such as Yahoo).
>I don't want to use a desktop PC for calendar, nor
>do I want to be forced to use a particular PIM on the
>desktop. Nor do I want to be forced to associate my PDA
>with a specific, single PC. I have 15 computers and I'm
>often in places where I have no connectivity to those
>machines, but I'm almost always in a place where I have
>connectivity to the public 'net.
>
>Do any of the PDA vendors support anything like this today ?

Yes, Palm.

>I checked Palm's web site and can find nothing that looks like this.

The app must be written specifically for that to work. Look at WeSync,
which syncs direct to server from a wireless palm.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.