I want to add 2 more gb of ram but.....

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
I plan to add 2more gb of ram for my computer but pny has seemed to have stopped selling the ram I already have. I have 2gb(1x2gbsticks) of pc2 8500. I was wondering since I am not even running the ram to full speed (I am running it at 333mghz) could I just buy 2 gb of another company pc2 6400 ram? will I have any compatibility issues?

Some mobo's will have problems with mismatched ram. The badaxe2 is fairly tolerant. If ram is mismatched, it will run at the lowest common denominator of capability. Even the same brand and type of ram can have different build characteristics from run to run. Read the mobo manual carefully to see what your options are. I think the best option would be to get a 4gb kit of matched ram. A 2x2 ddr2-800 set should cost you abour $85. Sell the old ram on e-bay.

---good luck---

bhavv

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Why bother buying PC 8500 and running it at such a low speed in the first place? If you are really that unbothered about ram speed and timings you could buy a 2x2 gig PC6400 set and ebay your current ram.

Romstar

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2007
To be honest i actually planned on buying 2x2gb ram but the forum posters on toms hardware talked me out of it and since it was my first build and my first time overclocking I wasnt sure exactly how the FSB worked. So I got conned T_T.