Sign in with
Your question

Windows XP charset

Last response: in Windows XP
June 7, 2010 12:39:44 PM

Hello,
i am trying to change the default charset for win xp to UTF-8, does anyone know how to do that???
thanx,
Eyad

More about : windows charset

June 7, 2010 2:19:41 PM

ora_listener said:
Hello,
i am trying to change the default charset for win xp to UTF-8, does anyone know how to do that???
thanx,
Eyad

In Control Panel>Regional and Language under the Advanced tab you should have a box to check to change the Unicode but I have seen systems that don't have it. Post back if you can't find it - it may only be available in the Professional version.

June 8, 2010 7:35:20 AM

Dear Saga,

i tried to find what said, but there is nothing like that. i have windows XP SP2. may you send me a snapshot of the Advanced tab window that you told about the check box??

for the default charset, the following table illustrates what i want to change (marked as bold):

Charset Name Charset Value(hex) Codepage number
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEFAULT_CHARSET 1 (x01)
SYMBOL_CHARSET 2 (x02)
OEM_CHARSET 255 (xFF)
ANSI_CHARSET 0 (x00) 1252
RUSSIAN_CHARSET 204 (xCC) 1251
EE_CHARSET 238 (xEE) 1250
GREEK_CHARSET 161 (xA1) 1253
TURKISH_CHARSET 162 (xA2) 1254
BALTIC_CHARSET 186 (xBA) 1257
HEBREW_CHARSET 177 (xB1) 1255
ARABIC _CHARSET 178 (xB2) 1256
SHIFTJIS_CHARSET 128 (x80) 932
HANGEUL_CHARSET 129 (x81) 949
GB2313_CHARSET 134 (x86) 936
CHINESEBIG5_CHARSET 136 (x88) 950

"this table is from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/165478"

to be more clearer in what i want, i'm printing remotely from AIX 5.3 Server to Windows XP SP3, and the printing contains Arabic language. after trying everything to do that, i found that if i could make XP to accept the charset automatically (with no need to convert the charset manually like in MS word 2007), then everything will go as planed.

hope these details illustrates what i want.

thanks,

Eyad
Related resources
June 8, 2010 7:25:21 PM

ora_listener said:

i tried to find what said, but there is nothing like that. i have windows XP SP2. may you send me a snapshot of the Advanced tab window that you told about the check box??

to be more clearer in what i want, i'm printing remotely from AIX 5.3 Server to Windows XP SP3, and the printing contains Arabic language. after trying everything to do that, i found that if i could make XP to accept the charset automatically (with no need to convert the charset manually like in MS word 2007), then everything will go as planed.

hope these details illustrates what i want.

thanks,

Eyad

Hmm - most odd becasue it doesn't appear under the Advanced tab here either but I'm sure it used to be. Perhaps it's only an option on installation. However, under the Advanced tab for Unicode, I can tick the Arabic option and I'm then prompted to pop in my XP CD to install the necessary files. Does your system allow that?

June 12, 2010 5:37:44 AM

Dear Saga,

what i understood from you is to check whether i can install the Arabic code sets from the XP installation CD or not. the Arabic code sets are already installed on the PC.

thanks,
eyad
June 12, 2010 8:51:18 AM

ora_listener said:
Dear Saga,

what i understood from you is to check whether i can install the Arabic code sets from the XP installation CD or not. the Arabic code sets are already installed on the PC.

thanks,
eyad

I'm not sure if this will help but in Control Panel>Regional and Language>Advanced tab there's a box to tick to install the files required to run right to left languages. Could that be what's missing in your system?

!