Nvidia 9 series / G100

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2008 1:55:50 PM

First full credit to Avenger_K for spotting this. Mate this deserves its own thread entirely.

German website, get the old babelfish on it, has some ludicrous specs for g100.

Namely: 1.8 billion transitors on 55nm. If thats true, and you thought r600 was hot and power hungry, think again, then think of cooking some eggs on the hsf.

http://www.hardware-aktuell.com/viewnews.php?article=70...

More about : nvidia series g100

January 11, 2008 2:20:02 PM

Im sure I read elsewhere that the 9800GTX was the next 3 way sli card... That should eat crysis for breakfast...
January 11, 2008 2:31:00 PM

An important comment that needed to be said.
Related resources
January 11, 2008 2:52:33 PM

He thinks you cute.

Or he thinks that your ignorant bliss over likely false information is cute.
January 11, 2008 2:57:57 PM

Well i am pretty dashing.

I said 'ludicrous specs' meaning I dont believe it.
January 11, 2008 3:05:15 PM

spoonboy said:
Well i am pretty dashing.

I said 'ludicrous specs' meaning I dont believe it.

Its ok, you are forgiven. :) 

The specs certainly are within the realm of reality though. I wouldnt be suprised if we do see something like that down the road a bit. But I dont think it will be the 9 series.

But then I dont really know anything about nVidia's secret plans. :cry: 
January 11, 2008 3:13:40 PM

cheers! lol

particularly unknown are its germ warfare and weather machine division, in that seceret cave on that south pacific island.
January 11, 2008 3:37:41 PM

spoonboy said:
cheers! lol

particularly unknown are its germ warfare and weather machine division, in that seceret cave on that south pacific island.

You've read Michael Crichton's books haven't you?

Particularly "State of Fear."

If you havent, you should. Good stuff.
January 11, 2008 4:20:44 PM

spoonboy said:
First full credit to Avenger_K for spotting this. Mate this deserves its own thread entirely.

German website, get the old babelfish on it, has some ludicrous specs for g100.

Namely: 1.8 billion transitors on 55nm. If thats true, and you thought r600 was hot and power hungry, think again, then think of cooking some eggs on the hsf.

http://www.hardware-aktuell.com/viewnews.php?article=70...

Hey thanks spoonboy :D . I was just checking good 'ole Nordic Hardware when I came across this info. Although I must say my personal favorite was the 384 shaders clocked at 2GHz. :o  :bounce:  If it's true of course........

I can't say whether I believe this stuff or not, but did you guys catch that this is not the G90, this is Nvidia's next high-end card after the 9800s? That would certainly make it more believable if the 9800s are just a 65nm refresh of the 8800s.

*EDIT* Btw what thread did I post this stuff in? I can't remember now lol.
January 11, 2008 8:10:23 PM

HOLY CRAP!

That is all I can say about G100 :D 

Could it be true though? NV's former plans was just to refresh the 9800 series cards with 55nm parts in summer, but that seams kinda silly to me... They should be ready with a G100 by then, as this old 9800 and 8800 tech was developed a looooong time ago now. (Yes the 9800 chips are old, basically just more G80's lol).
Those numbers don't sound ridiculous to me, I think the G100 specs should come in close to those numbers.
January 11, 2008 8:35:21 PM

Maybe the previously speculated 9800GTX (G92) will be released as the 8900---. I guess we wont know until its released. But its still excited to see something new even if it is just speculation or rumored.
January 11, 2008 8:58:08 PM

Quote:
Cuteness is a kind of attractive beauty commonly associated with youth, apperance, as well as a scientific concept and analytical model in Ethology, first introduced by Konrad Lorenz. This is usually characterized by (though not limited to) some combination of infant-like physical traits, especially small body size with a disproportionately big head, large eyes, a small nose, dimples, and round and softer body features. Infantile personality traits, such as playfulness, fragility, helplessness, curiosity, innocence, affectionate behavior and a need to be nurtured are also generally considered cute.

Have i LOST SOMETHING? - LIKE THE PLOT HERE??
January 11, 2008 9:23:05 PM

Ironnads said:
Have i LOST SOMETHING? - LIKE THE PLOT HERE??

Yeah he's lost me too....I thought the point of this thread was to discuss the G90/100......guess maybe I was wrong, since he obviously knows what he's talking about.......
January 11, 2008 9:32:24 PM

Nobody in this thread mentioned the word "cute" before his post, thus I am convinced that he\she\it is mentally challenged :D 

*nobody mentioned the lover novel either lol*
January 11, 2008 9:48:20 PM

Two threads here: 9800GTX and cuteness, so I'll go with the card.

Ok, time for G100 goose bumps:

2GHZ
Interface 512-Bit
Shader 384
Not to mention 1GB DDR3.

Crikies!
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 11, 2008 9:59:57 PM

Specs don't add up under the current architecture, so there's some major changes to ratios internally.

At first blush it sounds more like an R680 style product, where it's 2 x a 192shader solution, with each being 900million transistors.

Using the old architecture (not changing the composition of the shaders), that would mean a 50% increase in SPUs while maintaining the same TMU/ROP ration for the end result of tripling the shaders while doubling the back end from the G80-92. The problem with that is a change in the ROP-bitwidth ratio as well.

Anywhoo, I'd take that info with a grain of salt, because even at 55nm a 1.8 billiion transistor chip is going to be pretty big surface area wise, and I have a feeling that it's more likely two 900 million transistor chips with an approach similar to the R700.
January 11, 2008 10:12:44 PM

i heard that nvidia is already testing out the new gddr5 memory. i thought it might be available on the next gen cards, guess not.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 11, 2008 10:22:01 PM

Might still be available, but you know that nVidia and AMD will test it as soon as Samsung et al can give them some, because they're probably their most influential customers (with the AIB being the actual larget 'purchasers').

I would suspect you might see support for GDDR5 in those chips, but they might not actually use them in the cards until a refresh, especially depending on price/performance/availability.
January 11, 2008 11:07:12 PM

i bet its fake...
January 12, 2008 7:02:12 PM

hes betting his 747 on it (check avatar)
January 12, 2008 7:05:08 PM

rallyimprezive said:
You've read Michael Crichton's books haven't you?

Particularly "State of Fear."

If you havent, you should. Good stuff.

Sorry its far less glamorous than that. Its a quote from the simpsons where homer is working for that global billionare crazed maniac genius. In it he says "but were well ahead of the germ warfare and weather machine divisions".

I have read "prey" by Crichton, the snazzy cover drew me in, and i actually really enjoyed it. Will keep an eye out for the others you mentioned.
!