Your question

8800 GT how annoying!!!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Resolution
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 11, 2008 2:17:32 PM

I recently bought 8800GT over my 2600XT redeon.

Imediately after placing the 8800GT the problems started.
1st. No signal during startup, not at all, I tried everything, both ports of the video card, both turning to Analog and DVI cables (I have Samsung 226BW TFT). I was lucky I had other CRT monitor because I was not able to see picture untill I loged in windows and install the drivers!!!!!!!!

WTF!!!

2nd. Except my native resolution I dont have any other resolution which is with the same aspect ratio as my monitor (16x10) i.e. except 1680x1050 there is no 1440x900 neither 1280x800. I tried everything, drivers, adding custom resolution, even tweaking my monitors EDID. Nothing helped. I just cant add custom resolution as it says "Cannot add resolution!" error when I try. How can nvidia have such stupid problem I cant even believe that, wide monitors are not rare any more even I can say its majority of the new buys.
How can your driver not support by default all freakin resolutions, whats the deal!!!

3. The image quality was NOTICABLY worse. I mean it. Nvidia picture is little more blurry and everything on my ATI 2600XT looks amazingly sharp and contrast and colorful and great, and on the NVidia ... :( 

I went back to my 2600XT and voila, all resolutions are there by default!!!!! picturer quality is great, and I have signal even in dos or startup.

Does anyone else have such problems with TFT monitors and nvidia? (especialy wide monitors)

btw my 8800GT is Gigabyte.

I am switching my 8800GT for ATI 3870 now with a friend in Monday I will tell you if it will resolve all these probs (as on 2600XT I dont have any of them)

More about : 8800 annoying

January 11, 2008 2:28:51 PM

Did you remove ATI's drivers before plugging in the 8800GT?

January 11, 2008 2:49:37 PM

+1

Driver issues.

Do you really think the 8800GT would be so popular if your issues were the norm?
Related resources
January 11, 2008 2:55:43 PM

We see this species from time to time... I believe the Latin name is Ignoramus Complainalotacus.
January 11, 2008 3:00:10 PM

bash007 said:
Did you remove ATI's drivers before plugging in the 8800GT?

I'm having 8800GT performance problems. I didn't have image problems yet, but the 8800GT is slow as hell. Not so slow in Crysis strangely enough (only 3Dmark06 and COD4)
Of course I tried newest drives in Vista64, chipset drivers, checked the power-plug, etc etc etc.
Please tell me if the 3870 is better and faster.
Thanks!
January 11, 2008 3:02:22 PM

rodney_ws said:
We see this species from time to time... I believe the Latin name is Ignoramus Complainalotacus.

Yes, raw steel does lack intellectual properties.

The term itself is an oxymoron. Steel is an alloy so it can not have a "raw" form.

Raw Iron
Raw Titanium
Raw Carbon
Raw Silicon

all would have been cooler and made more sense. :p 
January 11, 2008 3:11:38 PM

Pardon: As a related question.

Do you also uninstall on-board (G33) graphics drivers first too or is just the bios switch enough?

Thanks.
January 11, 2008 3:27:41 PM

you'd think that just disabling the onboard video would be good enough, and it probably is. But it certainly wouldnt hurt to uninstall the drivers as well.

Any time I do a hardware change, I just reinstall windows. It may be over board, but I cant tell you how many times strange driver errors have forced me to reinstall anyway.

Clean OS is a clear conscience. :) 
January 11, 2008 3:29:12 PM

My 8800GT is awesome, then again I'm coming from a complete new build, formatted drive nice n clean.
January 11, 2008 3:33:43 PM

rodney_ws said:

Look mate I have computer from 1990 and I am not some lame idiot. Of course I removed ATI drivers. I removed all ATI software and I removed all ATI registry records.

When I say I tried everything I mean It. I searched google for days, tried tens of different methods and I dont have the time and the space to describe them all. If you cant help just dont write, ok?

People some times have problems, and I am looking for help of for other people with same problems to share information.

Also I dont see what ATI drivers have to do with Startup of the computer , bios and startup dos type shell. I think its just the Nvidia approach. Either they lack some ability to detect my monitor correctly or either something else but the problem exist.
January 11, 2008 3:34:37 PM

drysocks said:
Pardon: As a related question.

Do you also uninstall on-board (G33) graphics drivers first too or is just the bios switch enough?

Thanks.

I am with MSI K9N SLI and I dont have onboard video.
January 11, 2008 3:36:45 PM

enewmen said:
I'm having 8800GT performance problems. I didn't have image problems yet, but the 8800GT is slow as hell. Not so slow in Crysis strangely enough (only 3Dmark06 and COD4)
Of course I tried newest drives in Vista64, chipset drivers, checked the power-plug, etc etc etc.
Thanks!

My 8800GT is ok from the performance side. I mean according to online benchmark it performs relatively close. Check if you have plugged the 6pin power connector, I dont know if it will work at all without him but if it does it can perform on lower clocks without it.
January 11, 2008 3:42:44 PM

if you have some odd ball monitor, see if you can find drivers for that and install em.

What version of windows are you running?

You results are certainly not typical.
I know you said you have tried everything, but I dont agree.

You have tried everything EXCEPT for what works! :p 

Since you are computer savvy, run dxdiag. Make sure that the drivers are actually installed correctly.

Im sure we can get the solved for ya Mr RawSteel. ;) 
January 11, 2008 3:45:02 PM

rallyimprezive said:
Yes, raw steel does lack intellectual properties.

The term itself is an oxymoron. Steel is an alloy so it can not have a "raw" form.

Raw Iron
Raw Titanium
Raw Carbon
Raw Silicon

all would have been cooler and made more sense. :p 

What about:
Rally Pathethic
Rally Imprezive Idiot
Really Impared brain
January 11, 2008 3:50:11 PM

rawsteel said:
What about:
Rally Pathethic
Rally Imprezive Idiot
Really Impared brain

:lol: 

I race an Subaru impreza in rally cross events.

So its sort of:

Really Impressive Rally Impreza.

Pretty witty I think. :kaola: 
January 11, 2008 3:50:23 PM

If you do not get a signal during POST or in BIOS setup you have a hardware problem. Try reseating the card. Try resetting the BIOS.
We're not mindreaders! If you don't say what you've tried we don't know!!

Mike.
Mike.
a c 120 U Graphics card
January 11, 2008 3:53:49 PM

From the nvidia control panel........ Manage custom resolutions/treat as tv is checked/create/

in advanced settings you might have to chose "DMT" ifit's on something else......... save you settings
January 11, 2008 4:13:15 PM

swifty_morgan said:
From the nvidia control panel........ Manage custom resolutions/treat as tv is checked/create/

in advanced settings you might have to chose "DMT" ifit's on something else......... save you settings

You are saviour!!!

It worked. I finally was able to add these resolutions. Thank you very much. I tried before with these settings but I couldnt make it work, I guess I missed the DMT. (Anyway its not intuitive and its complicated, they should just put all resolutions by default in the driver as ATI)
January 11, 2008 4:44:24 PM

rawsteel said:
Look mate I have computer from 1990 and I am not some lame idiot. Of course I removed ATI drivers. I removed all ATI software and I removed all ATI registry records.

When I say I tried everything I mean It. I searched google for days, tried tens of different methods and I dont have the time and the space to describe them all. If you cant help just dont write, ok?

People some times have problems, and I am looking for help of for other people with same problems to share information.

Also I dont see what ATI drivers have to do with Startup of the computer , bios and startup dos type shell. I think its just the Nvidia approach. Either they lack some ability to detect my monitor correctly or either something else but the problem exist.

You had a bad experience with an 8800 GT... big deal. Every review site on the internet is throwing award after award on the card and you make it sound like your one bad experience is enough to cancel all of that out. You had a problem specific to your system that you didn't take the time to solve... isn't that all we're talking about here?

Do you think that we should have a massive recall of all 8800 GTs since you couldn't get yours to work?
January 11, 2008 6:41:43 PM

I would say maybe a BIOS update if all else fails and see what happens. Otherwise, maybe its just a defective card. Send it back and get a new one.
January 11, 2008 6:49:12 PM

rodney_ws said:
You had a bad experience with an 8800 GT... big deal. Every review site on the internet is throwing award after award on the card and you make it sound like your one bad experience is enough to cancel all of that out. You had a problem specific to your system that you didn't take the time to solve... isn't that all we're talking about here?

Do you think that we should have a massive recall of all 8800 GTs since you couldn't get yours to work?

Its not only my 8800GT the prob I am talking about , in the matter of fact its all Nvidia cards and their drivers. They just dont add all the resolutions by default and in the driver and then you need to go and add them manually and bump your head out how to do it as its nothing but intuitive. I dont say 8800GT is awful card, its AWESOME deal for the money, thats why I took it, I just say the annoying things about it. Thats all.

I cant play Crysis on native so I play on 1280x960, and that is not same aspect ratio. How will you feel if you had to do that (instead of playing 1280x800). The image looks stretched and people and objects are not in real proportions. IS THAT NORMAL. Tell me that?

I dont have any comments on the performance it had been great so far
January 11, 2008 7:27:27 PM

my GT supports every resolution i can think of, on my 1280x1024 lcd & my samy 1080p TV.
maybe it is defective or maybe just a gigabyte thing?
January 11, 2008 7:55:55 PM

rawsteel said:
Its not only my 8800GT the prob I am talking about , in the matter of fact its all Nvidia cards and their drivers. They just dont add all the resolutions by default and in the driver and then you need to go and add them manually and bump your head out how to do it as its nothing but intuitive. I dont say 8800GT is awful card, its AWESOME deal for the money, thats why I took it, I just say the annoying things about it. Thats all.

I cant play Crysis on native so I play on 1280x960, and that is not same aspect ratio. How will you feel if you had to do that (instead of playing 1280x800). The image looks stretched and people and objects are not in real proportions. IS THAT NORMAL. Tell me that?

I dont have any comments on the performance it had been great so far

Uh.... ye... a... what? I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, I guess I was wrong. Can you give me some empirical proof that all nvidia cards have this issue. I've used nothing but nvidia cards and I've never ran into this issue, and I'm not saying that it couldn't happen to a particular card, but your just talking out of your ass now.

When you start flaming a great product that a good portion of the members here are using of course there going to strike back. People are willing to help but only if you stop the bitch fit and start thinking OBJECTIVELY. IF YOU'VE HAD THIS MANY ISSUES ALREADY JUST RMA THE CARD!

If all Nvidia cards had this issue its a great wonder that there still around, huh?
January 11, 2008 8:23:13 PM

pchoi04 said:
Uh.... ye... a... what? I was willing to give you the benefit of the doubt, I guess I was wrong. Can you give me some empirical proof that all nvidia cards have this issue. I've used nothing but nvidia cards and I've never ran into this issue, and I'm not saying that it couldn't happen to a particular card, but your just talking out of your ass now.

When you start flaming a great product that a good portion of the members here are using of course there going to strike back. People are willing to help but only if you stop the bitch fit and start thinking OBJECTIVELY. IF YOU'VE HAD THIS MANY ISSUES ALREADY JUST RMA THE CARD!

If all Nvidia cards had this issue its a great wonder that there still around, huh?

Oooo hell yes. I like this one. :bounce: 

(im a 8800GTS (g92) owner so I too took offense to his blanket approach towards nvidia negativity.

Cause we all know ATI has NEVER had driver issues.
January 11, 2008 9:27:04 PM

just cos someone gets a bad card they decide the entire referance card is crap. manufacturing chips is a hit and miss process unfortunatly some of them dont work as well as others. if it was driver issues there would be a whole lot more people complaining.
January 11, 2008 9:44:20 PM

wow, maybe u have a defective card, u and that guy who said his GT is performing crap. I have my 8800GT performing great for me, only game with issues is Crysis (obviously). And before you say its performign crap, make sure ur sstem isnt bottlenecking from it. IE puttign a 8800GT with a P4.... your not gona get good FPS with that. Now, i didnt read he whole post but if it hasnt been asnwered yet. Is your PCIe power cable plugged in? If it is and u have drivers 169.02 or up then u haev a devective card. SO RMA TIME!!
January 11, 2008 10:30:07 PM

what? Read the whole thread. And get that finger out of your butt and onto the keyboard.
January 11, 2008 11:49:21 PM

Well , I've had every higher end nvidia card I can think of and have never had this problem. I have a gts 512 and a 24' widescreen and it has 12 different resolutions to pick from. it's a 16x10 too
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 12, 2008 1:31:31 AM

enewmen said:
Thanks!

From the benchmarks I've seen, one 8800GT beats one HD 3870, but two HD 3870 some times beat two 8800GT (just because Crossfire is more efficient than SLI). The HD 3870 has a quieter cooler and costs a little less. They're both great bang for the buck IMO.
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2008 2:57:02 AM

I can see it now "Mr Franklin, are you ok?" "Yes I am thanks, but you can forget this electricity thing, itll NEVER work, I singed my hair, and burnt my fingers. Truly something so dangerous isnt worth the bother"
January 12, 2008 3:49:40 AM

I think i had some small probs too from just changing the card from ATI to nVidia, but after a fresh install... the GT is unstoppable. Might wana format.
January 12, 2008 4:36:40 PM

rodney_ws said:

HEHE
January 12, 2008 7:09:28 PM

Some PCI-E 2.0 express cards have problems with older PCI-E motherboards. As others suggested its not driver level problem but hardware/bios level one.
January 13, 2008 1:55:17 AM

parawizard said:
Some PCI-E 2.0 express cards have problems with older PCI-E motherboards. As others suggested its not driver level problem but hardware/bios level one.

This may be my problem. I just have a P5B p965 with PCI-e 1.0
January 13, 2008 2:03:17 AM

enewmen said:
This may be my problem. I just have a P5B p965 with PCI-e 1.0

I have a P5B Deluxe and I just installed my 8800GT and it works like a dream. I also have a Dell 24 and I play almost all my games at 1920x1200 on all max settings (accept Crysis).
January 13, 2008 7:55:30 AM

pchoi04 said:
I have a P5B Deluxe and I just installed my 8800GT and it works like a dream. I also have a Dell 24 and I play almost all my games at 1920x1200 on all max settings (accept Crysis).

My machine also ran well like you describe.
UNTIL
BE CAREFULL about flashing the BIOS, this is when my trouble began.
January 13, 2008 8:32:06 AM

a wise man once told me. never instal drivers or flash bios unless you have a problem. i follow that advise and have never had a problem.
actually i find my systems run faster with less bloat that way. i consider ntune and catalyst a necessity though. everything else if it aint broke dont f=-! with it.
!