Building on a major budget (but want the best system I can manage)

svtybalt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm totally nuts on new toys meaning big mean computers. I want a new computer, knowing my budget it'll take me a year or so to gather parts, i was looking at cases today thinking i'd buy a case first them power supply, figuring by the time i go for a mother board CPU and stuff prices would go down on the best models out there.. Any ideas or suggestions on order of purchases, it's not liek i have $1,000 or $2,000 to throw at this build, but all my life had computers that i purcased built and then spent $500-$1000 in upgrades. I want this one to kick some butt, but I want to hunt out deals too. Where would u start, what do u believe will be compatible in 5 years. computers change so much. I'm looking for a highly multitasking computer, probably high level graphic games (I more enjoy messing with custom content on games or modifying them then actually playing, so at some times i have many high requirerments on multi program running). I need room to upgrade but not so much that I find myself buying extras to make things fit. any ideas on orders on things to buy or what to look for. I know it's such a general question, but maybe someone built a killer system on a major budget, and can give me pointers, will be my first system build from scratch, but i refuse to pay anyone else to put a computer together again... Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I think it's generally best to buy everything at one time. Prices are always going down so what ever you buy today will cost less in the future. If you're on a fairly tight budget, they'll be trade offs and if you've already bought something, one less thing you can trade off. As for future upgrades, get a machine that will do what you want it to do for the foreseeable future, future proof is a myth. That doesn't mean you don't get a lower level part with plans to upgrade when you have the money, but 5 years out your looking at a new system

svtybalt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
of course future proof is a totaly myth, looking for something that will get me through the near future with room to upgrade will have "finished" it in a year. Trying to figure out order of parts to hunt, best guess i have is case, power supply, then motherboard and CPU, then hard drives, dvd drives ram, GPU. sortof working from the most basic then to what fits the CPU and motherboard, any suggestions where to start. It'll be years before i afford everything at once, hoping i can transfer some parts out of old computers, but that's depending on the motherboard and CPU i choose. when i get to that point i'll have to weigh pros and cons, but right now where do i start, what cases have most cooling potential and room to upgrade, or do i look at motherboards and CPU's and their potential then find a case to fit.

The computer i'm running now ain't bad after oh about $600 worth of upgrades over 2 years, but geeze wish i knew what i do now then saved of alot of money in unnecessary upgrades.

Question is on a budget where to start, obviously size of a case is important with cooling, cause my case is too small to fit new graphics cards and the cooling is poor..

I hate to be the bargin hunter computer part shopper but I do love the challenge it posses. always in the hunt of new toys and things to mess with since i've maxed my computer to it's potential i'm onto a new project.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Upgrading generally does not work great.
Selling your old system and upgrading often works best.

1 year from Today, Intel will have a New CPU that requires a new Mobo.
This chip is expected to destroy any current Chips.

AMD's next chip will use the same socket, but at best AMD's nexty chip will get you to where Intel is today so that is not really a smart move either.

1 year from today, DDR2 will be passe and DDR3 will be the big thing.
While you can buy DDR3 now, the price is terrible.
Also the DDR3 a year from now will be much much faster.

If it's going to take a "year", save you money now and buy everything in a year.

The Case and Power Supply is one of the few things that might not downgrade. I would wait and look for good deals on Black Friday.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Cases are probably the most personal thing you'll buy, i.e., what appeals to you. Do you want it to look like the Vegas strip? How important is quiet or easy to work with, swapping parts? Look at boards from reputable manufactures. A Tier II PSU will be good. New CPUs are coming out so read reviews, right now a P35 mobo is your best bet unless you want to run SLI or more than 2 video cards. What's best really depends on how you'll use the machine and your budget and you have to start with a budget. And there are new GPUs coming out so read reviews Really tough to look into the future and decide what to build, things change too fast
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I've been doing builds for other people since the days when the only thing they cared about was 'Will it run Leisure Larry?' and no matter how far ahead of the technology you think might be, something will come along in a few months and put you behind. I haven't built myself a new rig in years (PIII I'm on now) and am ready and finally able to do so. I'm not a heavy gamer just general use and a little web page design ect. I'm probably going to go ahead with a P35 based build in the next few weeks and will be quite happy with what I have for quite a while, people can't believe I haven't upgraded B4 now (I can't either to be honest). Right now things are about to change if it's for the better or worse I do not know, but right now you get 'more bang for your buck ' than anytime in the past. I will be on a <$1000 budget and the choices are VERY good, I never thought you would ever be able to get 2GB of ram for what can right now or even a 200 MB harddrive for $70. Motherboards that will OC like you never thought for $100, back in the day, you weren't allowed to say overclock...... Hell I'm ramblin', but my point is, maybe other than a GPU you can do a build right now and probably not even need to upgrade for quite a while. I know I'll be satisfied with whatever I decide to build.

svtybalt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

HAHA i remember those days, and when the top of the line computer my friend had played 6 color games like family fued

clayforhim648

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Hey svtybalt,

I just received my parts for my new build from newegg.com. Rounded out at about 750-800 bucks. I agree with others here, it would behoove you to get all your stuff within a fairly short period of time. I spent the last 3 months making wishlists at newegg.com and prices have changed a lot even in that time. If you want to get bargains, but nice stuff, get it all at once; maximum i would wait is a month between parts.

Looks like your interested in the case first. I went with the Antec 900. Wait for the rebate to come back at newegg though. I got it for $70 online, just got it today, and started to build. I don't have much to compare it too, but I love it. 3 120 mm stock fans, 1 'big daddy' 200 mm fan on top. Easy to take apart, feels solid, window in the side is a nice touch...can see my pretty insides. Other cases I would recommend that are a little pricier are Cooler Master Stacker, Cosmos 1000, any Lian Li, and other higher end Antec cases.