Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Blu-ray drive not reading any disks

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2008 1:17:55 AM

I have an LG GGW-H20L(SUPER MULTI BLUE BLU-RAY) which I put into a pretty new build of mine. I tried to watch a blu-ray movie on it today and the drive wasn't recognizing the disc. Windows recognises the drive as far as I can see, but it doesn't recognise any disc CD/DVD/BD that i put into it. After installing everything on the disc that came with the drive, it still doesn't think there is a disc in the drive. Whats going on? How can I get this to work?
December 20, 2008 1:20:57 PM

Is everything that your using HTTPC supported? (Monitor, Video Card)
Without those supported it won't allow you to watch movies.

Are you also using the right pieces of video viewing software?
a c 353 G Storage
December 20, 2008 1:51:15 PM

HDCP will only prevent playing Blu-ray and HD disks, not CD's nor DVD's. also viewing software should not prevent "opening" a disk to view files.

I suspect:
(1) bad sata cable
(2) not configured properly in Bios
(3) DOA
Related resources
December 20, 2008 2:31:54 PM

Uninstall what came on the disc and try it.
January 14, 2009 12:10:49 PM

I have the EXACT same problem. I had the drive in a gaming pc. Put together a new HTPC took the drive out (where it had just been working playing Fallout3) put it in the new HTPC and nothing. Vista shows it, recognizes it, drivers, model and all, but no disc reads on any format. I will post if I find a solution.
January 14, 2009 12:11:48 PM

I have the EXACT same problem. I had the drive in a gaming pc. Put together a new HTPC took the drive out (where it had just been working playing Fallout3) put it in the new HTPC and nothing. Vista shows it, recognizes it, drivers, model and all, but no disc reads on any format. I will post if I find a solution.
February 7, 2009 9:14:38 AM

Similar problem - but not quite the same, same drive model (LG GGW-H20L(SUPER MULTI BLUE BLU-RAY)) did work fully, but now does not recognise blu-ray disk. Works OK with CDs and DVDs. shows up as working in Device Manager. reports no disk present if blu-ray disk inserted. Any Ideas?
December 20, 2013 1:01:28 PM

I'm getting this problem too, though with a different disk drive. I got the Pioneer BDR-208DBK. Windows instantly recognised the drive as a BD-RE drive but wouldn't read any disc formats. I tried changing the cabling too just in case, but no luck. I had to sent it back with an RMA, I hope the drive is broken and it wasn't me being stupid, otherwise I'm going to get a collection fine.

Thought I'd post here because no solution appeared to be find to the posters problem. Did you ever find a solution?
!