Problem staying connected to my network

GlutusMaximus86

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Alright, over the past few days I've had problems staying connected to my wireless network. It stays connected for maybe 30 seconds and then it says the connection is unavailable, then it reconnects and stays on for 30 seconds, and it just keeps doing that until I get a message "one or more wireless networks are available, click to connect to one of them" (there is only one) after it says that for about a minute it reconnects for 30 seconds and it just keeps doing that same cycle over and over again.

My friend who just moved in recently had the same problem (we both have the same wireless card the "Linksys Wireless-B USB Network Adapter v2.8") he downladed a driver, which was the exact same version as was on the CD, and he said after he dled the driver his connection to the network was fine and he had no more problems. However, soon after he got his connection working my connection I started having problems with connection to the network. There are only three computers on this network BTW.

I've tried a few things to fix this: I've change my IP address on my comp, tried dling the same driver as my friend did, and also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the network card.

Do you guys have any suggestions as to how I can fix this problem? thanks for any replies

Sorry for the long post

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Unless your running an Ad Hoc wireless LAN (No access point), there is nothing to change on the client devices, so XP is not relevant. You change the channel (frequency) on the AP.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

GlutusMaximus86

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2004
Thanks for the tip I canged the channel on the access point and it made my connection more stable. However I still have a problem of when all three computers are on the network at once one/two/or three of the computers will have problems staying connected to the network (where as before my connection would be unstable no matter how many of the computers were connected to the network), they will have the same problems as I was having. Is there anything I can do to fix this or is it just my access point can't handle the traffic?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by GlutusMaximus86 on 03/03/04 11:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

rasputinj

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2003
Make sure you turn off the power save feature on the Wireless cards. That will sometimes do it.

Rasputinj
<A HREF="http://rasputinj.coj" target="_new">Rasputinj your deal and coupon code Svengali </A>