thermal interfaces pads on the mosfets

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I made a home made water block for my mosfets but was wondering if i need to use thermal pads or can I just use Thermal compound?
I have Arctic cooling MX-2 thermal compound. it is supposed to be Non-Electrical Conductive. Link

Has any one done this before?

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
I have been using Abit Motherboards almost exclusively for the past two years and am also heavily involved in TEC and watercooling. Because of this I usually ran into problems when I wanted to watercool the mosfets around the cpu as there weren't any waterblocks in the market that would be usable on all of them. Eventually, I started making my own waterblocks and I just recycled the thermal pads that Abit used on the air cooling heatsinks and they worked fine. However, I don't see a problem on using the thermal compounds either. Just be mindful that some thermal compounds have elctrically conductive properties (i.e. Arctic Silver).

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
yes I have tried something similar and my advice is don't, the coils turned black and in one year the motherboard needed to be replaced.
this is one of the reasons i made this system wiff the fans air is the way to go wiff the coils.
im0009753bahm1.jpg

I think I was one of the first peps that mentioned about the coils getten really hot when ocing. A old forum poster wuzzy explained this as electrical migration. Very smart dude