Installing an old Laptop Vista Hard Drive.

AlexJamesNewbie

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I have a custom build PC which i built a few months ago with help from fellow forum-ers. I built with the following specs:
Athlon x2 3GHz AM3
4GB DDR3 (slow) RAM
Asrock N86C-S UCC
Asus AMD Radeon HD 6670 Graphics Card
1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
Samsung Ritelight DVD Drive

The issue is: recently i had a emachines laptop which i fried the motherboard of in a power-surge. This laptop had a 160GB HDD with windows vista on it. This HDD had the same SATA power and data inputs as my current HDD, so: i swapped them with the intention of using mt 1TB as a data drive running as a slave drive. I did this as the 160GB drive is quicker and holds an OS and i have no money atm and thus can not afford an OS. So: when i started the PC with the 160GB HDD it flashed between Black and Grey a few times and then restarted into Windows startup Repair. I can access the HDD through the XP OS on my 1TB HDD although i dont like using XP.

So: I can access the programme files and whatnot but i cant boot the present OS. Is there away i can repair the OS from inside XP??

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean a Vista setup disk? You can't run the setup from within Windows 7, but you can mount the disk to look at the files. To run a repair on the Vista setup, you need to boot off the disk, in the system that has the old drive in it.

TRENDING THREADS