New RIG problems - Random Restart - Help

everbs

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
System Specs
Asus Maximus Formula x38 motherboard
Q6600 Quad core @ stock settings (stock heatsink)
EVGA 8800gt graphics card 512mb
4gb of crucial ballistix 6400
1 750gb WD harddrive
PC power and cooling 750 silencer PSU.

My computer has been running great and I just got around to playing a game after i have been installing and updating for two days. I checked my temperatures with 2 seperate programs and both say the cpu is idling right now at around 20C and the MB is around 30C. Seems good to me, however during UT3 today my computer crashed straight to a restart, no warning no indication boom i see my startup screens. Also prior to that I wen to play WOW and during the loading screen just before I got into the game it did the same thing. I am a little dumbfounded on this because I can see that all of my temps are well within range. Also i have more than enough sufficient power with this PSU. Obviously im overlooking something. I hope someone can shed some light on this, and further my understanding of the issue, so i can properly get it resolved. Maybe it was a fluke?, but everyone is anal after a new build and either way it shouldnt do this. Thanks for your time and your help i appreciate it.

Thanks!
verbs

silverfrog1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
Let's get this straight--a restart is nearly identical to a hard crash. So, you have a lockup issue.

First, you need to find out what's causing the lockup. The only way to find out is to watch the blue screen info and write it down. But, since your computer is set to automatically restart, you can't see what it's telling you.

To fix this, do the following:

go to control panel then system then go to the advanced tab. Next, go to startup and recovery and click settings. Uncheck where it says "automatically restart" if checked.

Restart your computer and play UT3 and wait for the crash. This time, it should show a blue screen and some info about what caused the crash. Write down the file or .dll that caused it.

If "automatically restart" was not checked, you have another type of problem, probably related to either the PSU or the motherboard's reset signal. But, since you exibited the problem while playing the game, and it only happens during games, it's most likely a device is causing the fault. I had the problem a few times in HL2 and it turned out to to be faulty sound card drivers. Either way, follow what I told you and see what you can find out from the blue screen.

Hope this helps.