Intel collapses on miss by 2 pennies, off 3 bucks!

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
I think that it's the projected slowdown that is causing the concern - with the inflated inventory being the first sign.

I hope AMD meets its projections on Thursday, as this panic might just drive it into a penny stock.

wolverinero79

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2001
Sheesh. If Intel exceeds expecations, the stock is flat. If they meet expectations, the stock declines. If they miss (even by a tiny amount and even during a time where the profit grew an amazing amount), the stock absolutely tanks. I'm sure Intel will recover since they have awesome products, 2007 really was a record breaking year across the board for them, and lots of people people are buying Intel stock now that it's nice and low, but man what a hit.

I guess the biggest variable here will be whether or not the US economy turns toward a recession.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
This really doesn't have any bearing on the CPU industry - it more reflects the global economy as a whole. With the dollar doing as badly as it's doing and all the banking problems mean people are getting scared that we could be seeing recession sometime soon.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Dude, he has never been wrong yet. Save yourself! Sell all your Intel shares at $10 each now. To me! :lol:

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

I think there is no question this is correct..

I personally believe that War is hurting you guys financially; there is way too much cash going out everyday to support it and WAY too much importing (Wal-mart/China). USA is definitely facing a recession.

When was the last time Canadian dollar equaled yours? I love going on vacation there now, everything is cheap for me.

** This is not to say I support or don’t support anything… Just the obvious facts.

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

After hours trading. Intel loss $3 and change after hours. Down 14%.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
$3.19 after hours.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=INTC, or down %15.75 in today's trading. It's a strange market, but could point to a few things. The muddy water should clear by Thursday night..

Should mention AMD is also down after hours.

Ca_lawman

Distinguished
May 19, 2007

I have to disagree with you a little. I don't believe that this is a "global economy" issue. The reality is that the majority (probably 70 to 80%) of Intel's income is being generated in the growing/emerging markets such as China, India etc. I think this so called "recession" is currently localized in the US and it is due to such things as the housing debacle, weak dollar, war spending and grandma's health care costs (just kidding grams) and a myriad of other things. We need to remember that the US market is a saturated market. Some households today have more computers that TV sets. Neither intel nor AMD can count on the US market for their overall profit.

Logically, there is no reason for Intel stock to have taken the kind of hit it did today. They had a stellar 2007 in income and unit sales. I think when the numbers come in a month or so that show the rise in Intel's market share across all segments (DT, MP, Mobile) has gone up considerably due to a combination of awesome products, timely launches and the continuing misteps by AMD.

I have folowed Intel's stock for a number of years and Wolverino is right, sometimes it doesn't matter what they do, the market stomps on them for no good reason. It will be interesting to see how the market reacts to AMD's report on thursday. Logically it should be a blood bath, however, I wouldn't put any money on it. I'm not that big of a gambler.

Artificial trade barriers are falling. The adjustment is hurting the US economy.

I live in Detroit and this isn't a popular opinion:

Unions are crippling our automotive industry. They are causing US labor to be outrageously more expensive than labor in China. There are many people in the US willing to perform these jobs for less money. This would result in more competitive automotive companies. HOWEVER, the UAW is hurting its own membership by leeching the automotive companies.

Across the Pacific the people are paid less to make the same products. And even after the overhead of shipping them across an entire ocean the prices of the automobiles are still better than ones made right in the US.

The US automotive companies have been losing billions of dollars, it's time for the unions to wake up and realize that if the keep the demands up they'll all be out of jobs.

My father worked in a machine shop for 20 years. It was a union shop. My father ran a single lathe machine making a variety of military and aircraft parts. While his machine ran he'd play his guitar because he had nothing else to do.

The company approached the union asking them to concede to a demand to make workers operate two machines at once. The union refused. The owners shut down the shop, fired all the workers, and opened up down the road under a new name as a non-union shop.

My father now works in a non-union shop making less money running three machines at once. If the union had given in to the shop ownership he could have been much better off, but they insisted on trying to make the operation unprofitable, and instead of helping the members of their union, they all ended up without jobs.

Unions have made this country great. They stood up for workers. Improved conditions. But now, some unions may be driving businesses to unprofitability.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished

Couldn't agree more, TC.

Unions at one point were a necessity in a growing industrial USA, but now they are killing the industry that they helped foster in the first place. I've worked in two union jobs, and while the insane pay is nice, you have many, many more problems created than solved. Everyday mix-ups and accidents on a paycheck turn into year-long drawn out battles usually ending in expensive arbitration. The company you work for will likely try to screw you over at any turn they can, because the union will screw the company itself over when it can. This is a very unhealthy way to work. At the most extreme, you have unions literally leeching a company into the ground. They would rather see the company dead and themselves out of a job, because they didn't want to give up the yearly raises or whatever.

At my present employer, it just works like it should. If I get shorted on a paycheck or something, I just call the people in Payroll and tell them whats up. They have the amount direct deposited to my account within an hour. They don't act like I'm lying to them and trying to screw the company out of money, they just fix the mistake and go on. I don't have to hear the old "If you friggin guys don't work harder, we're going to unbolt these machines and take them to China!" speech once a week. And the best part, is that if I work hard enough, I can have any job in the company I want. I don't have to put in 35 friggin years behind some lazy, good-for-nothing jackass in order to move up the stupid seniority chain and get a job that I really want.

We all work very, very hard for the company. And the company rewards us very, very well. We have parties all the time, picnics, ice cream socials, bonuses all the time, and we go to meetings with the management where they just want to tell us we're doing a good job and to keep it up.

To summarize for the A.D.D. kids. . . unions are bad. If your daddy says they're a good thing, he's an idiot.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
wow another lucky guess! what luck!

intel trades in the 18-20 range! as we speak - wait.. i mean i type and u read???