Advice Needed for HD-DVR Cabling

I am moving into a new condo rehab in August. The developer will
customize my data/tv wiring however I want.

I am looking towards the future with an HD-DVR as a definite plan and
need to know a bit about configurations for the cabling.

So, I guess my question is, are there added requirements for a room
that will have a single HD-ready TV and a DVR (TiVo). I would like to
be able to watch an HD program on one channel while the TiVo records on
another.

Will I still need the standard two connections point-to-point from the
satellite and the TiVo box or does HD require more?

If there is a good source, website, or advice about this kind of thing,
I would greatly appreciate it.

Randal Burgess
5 answers Last reply
More about advice needed cabling

    Scott:

    Thanks for the reply. Is the antenna feed for the Over-the-Air HD local
    broadcasts channels?

    Does the two satellite inputs represent a connection for two tuners or
    just one? In my case, I am looking for a situation where I can watch HD
    on one tuner and record on the other.

    rb

    dawg1998 <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote:

    > I am moving into a new condo rehab in August. The developer will
    > customize my data/tv wiring however I want.
    >
    > I am looking towards the future with an HD-DVR as a definite plan and
    > need to know a bit about configurations for the cabling.
    >
    > So, I guess my question is, are there added requirements for a room
    > that will have a single HD-ready TV and a DVR (TiVo). I would like to
    > be able to watch an HD program on one channel while the TiVo records on
    > another.
    >
    > Will I still need the standard two connections point-to-point from the
    > satellite and the TiVo box or does HD require more?

    You'll want to have either 3-4 connections (2 for the satellite links
    and 1 for an antenna feed) or you'll need to combine and split back out
    the antenna feed. An HD Tivo box has 3 inputs: 2 satellite and 1 antenna.
    If your TV has an HD tuner inside, you could attach another antenna feed
    directly to it.

    Scott

    > If there is a good source, website, or advice about this kind of thing,
    > I would greatly appreciate it.

    You will need two RG-6 cables, one for each Sat tuner. The OTA TV signal
    can piggy back on the one or both of the cables using a diplexer and
    mutiplexer that comes with the Dish. It also depends on how many other TVs
    you plan on having. While your wiring you might as well add a couple of CAT
    5 cables, for Phone and Network.

    "dawg1998" <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Scott:
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Is the antenna feed for the Over-the-Air HD local
    > broadcasts channels?
    >
    > Does the two satellite inputs represent a connection for two tuners or
    > just one? In my case, I am looking for a situation where I can watch HD
    > on one tuner and record on the other.
    >
    > rb

    I appreciate the advice, guys...

    dawg1998 <wrburgess@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply. Is the antenna feed for the Over-the-Air HD local
    > broadcasts channels?

    Yes, the antenna feeds would be for OTA broadcasts.

    > Does the two satellite inputs represent a connection for two tuners or
    > just one? In my case, I am looking for a situation where I can watch HD
    > on one tuner and record on the other.

    The two satellite inputs are for the HD Tivo's dual tuners.

    Scott

HDTV TV HD DVR Home Theatre