Scheduled Backups don't occur

July 24, 2005 9:36:55 PM

I recently used the XP backup utility and I found that it worked fine
for an immediate backup to my external USB drive but when I attempt to
schedule the backup, it fails to occur.

I am performing a 'normal' backup to the USB Drive and I scheduled it
daily using the wizard. It appears in the calendar and looks normal
and consistent with my setup but nothing happens at the appointed
time. I confirmed my PC date and time were correct (no AM/PM or date
error).

I see no indication that it is/has attempting to perform a backup.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Maybe I have used a combination of procedures that causes it to
disregard the request?

Thanks,

Ralph Page
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 9:36:56 PM

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 17:36:55 GMT, Ralph Page wrote:

> I recently used the XP backup utility and I found that it worked fine
> for an immediate backup to my external USB drive but when I attempt to
> schedule the backup, it fails to occur.
>
> I am performing a 'normal' backup to the USB Drive and I scheduled it
> daily using the wizard. It appears in the calendar and looks normal
> and consistent with my setup but nothing happens at the appointed
> time. I confirmed my PC date and time were correct (no AM/PM or date
> error).
>
> I see no indication that it is/has attempting to perform a backup.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?
> Maybe I have used a combination of procedures that causes it to
> disregard the request?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph Page

How To Schedule Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308569

Scheduled Backup May Not Run Under Backup Operator Credentials
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311866

How To Troubleshoot Scheduled Tasks in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308558

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

What does the log file say. Advanced menu - View Log? Did you type schedule tasks in help and read the troubleshooting page (and all known issues)?

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message news:XkQEe.59$kk6.39@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
>I recently used the XP backup utility and I found that it worked fine
> for an immediate backup to my external USB drive but when I attempt to
> schedule the backup, it fails to occur.
>
> I am performing a 'normal' backup to the USB Drive and I scheduled it
> daily using the wizard. It appears in the calendar and looks normal
> and consistent with my setup but nothing happens at the appointed
> time. I confirmed my PC date and time were correct (no AM/PM or date
> error).
>
> I see no indication that it is/has attempting to perform a backup.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?
> Maybe I have used a combination of procedures that causes it to
> disregard the request?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ralph Page

July 25, 2005 7:43:13 AM

Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.

After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
scheduled task failed:

"Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
ERROR **
The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
therefore, the task did not run.
The specific error is:
0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a
policy restriction has been enforced.

I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
password for the backup.

That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely induced
this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.

Thanks for the help.

-Ralph Page
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 7:43:14 AM

Actually, the hotfix not being available is a good thing. If you request it,
you'll be contacted by MS support - and may even get a free service call
because of it.

"Ralph Page" wrote:

> Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.
>
> After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
> tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
> scheduled task failed:
>
> "Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
> ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> The specific error is:
> 0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
> reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a
> policy restriction has been enforced.
>
> I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
> password for the backup.
>
> That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
> Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely induced
> this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
> workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> -Ralph Page

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:53:45 AM

You do have a password on your user account don't you?

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message news:LIREe.122$kk6.62@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.
>
> After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
> tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
> scheduled task failed:
>
> "Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
> ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> The specific error is:
> 0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
> reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or a
> policy restriction has been enforced.
>
> I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
> password for the backup.
>
> That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
> Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely induced
> this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
> workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> -Ralph Page

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 11:53:46 AM

Nope, not until now.
I'm single and the cats are illiterate so I don't need password
protection.
eliminated the user account restriction problem, thanks.

There is still a problem though.
Now the scheduled backup attempts to start but it still fails to work.
Now I get:
"The saved selection file "NT\NTBackup\data\Backup.bks" cannot be
found"
in the backup report.

The scheduled tasks log reports:
"Bob4.job" (ntbackup.exe)
Finished 7/24/2005 5:50:02 PM
Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1f).

The Backup.bks file is located at:
C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph Page\Local Settings\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data

This is where the backup program places the file. Assuming that the
location in the backup report is just truncated, it appears to be
looking in the correct place but it doesn't find the .bks file so it
stops.

Very strange.

Thanks again for the help and interest.
-Ralph Page

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o zid9pJkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
You do have a password on your user account don't you?

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message

> Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.
>
> After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
> tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
> scheduled task failed:
>
> "Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
> ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
> failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> The specific error is:
> 0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
> reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or
> policy restriction has been enforced.
>
> I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
> password for the backup.
>
> That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
> Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely
> induced
> this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
> workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> -Ralph Page

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:16:12 PM

What is the actual command line in TS for the task.

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message news:kUXEe.213$kk6.194@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Nope, not until now.
> I'm single and the cats are illiterate so I don't need password
> protection.
> eliminated the user account restriction problem, thanks.
>
> There is still a problem though.
> Now the scheduled backup attempts to start but it still fails to work.
> Now I get:
> "The saved selection file "NT\NTBackup\data\Backup.bks" cannot be
> found"
> in the backup report.
>
> The scheduled tasks log reports:
> "Bob4.job" (ntbackup.exe)
> Finished 7/24/2005 5:50:02 PM
> Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1f).
>

> The Backup.bks file is located at:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph Page\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data
>
> This is where the backup program places the file. Assuming that the
> location in the backup report is just truncated, it appears to be
> looking in the correct place but it doesn't find the .bks file so it
> stops.
>
> Very strange.
>
> Thanks again for the help and interest.
> -Ralph Page
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o zid9pJkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You do have a password on your user account don't you?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.
>>
>> After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
>> tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
>> scheduled task failed:
>>
>> "Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
>> ERROR **
>> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
>> failed,
>> therefore, the task did not run.
>> The specific error is:
>> 0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
>> reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or
>> policy restriction has been enforced.
>>
>> I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
>> password for the backup.
>>
>> That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
>> Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely
>> induced
>> this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
>> workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> -Ralph Page

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:16:13 PM

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and
Settings\Ralph Page\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\NTBackup\data\Backup.bks" /a /d "Set created 7/24/2005 at 6:59 PM"
/v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:o ff /m normal /j "Bob" /l:f /f
"F:\XPBackup3.bkf"

This is what I see under properties for Bob, my scheduled task. Is
that what you were referring to?

From what little I know, it appears to be consistent with my settings
and that path appears to be correct.

-Ralph Page

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
news:o Yp0a7LkFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
What is the actual command line in TS for the task.
<snip>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:16:55 PM

If you don't want a password create another admin account just for backup.

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message news:kUXEe.213$kk6.194@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...
> Nope, not until now.
> I'm single and the cats are illiterate so I don't need password
> protection.
> eliminated the user account restriction problem, thanks.
>
> There is still a problem though.
> Now the scheduled backup attempts to start but it still fails to work.
> Now I get:
> "The saved selection file "NT\NTBackup\data\Backup.bks" cannot be
> found"
> in the backup report.
>
> The scheduled tasks log reports:
> "Bob4.job" (ntbackup.exe)
> Finished 7/24/2005 5:50:02 PM
> Result: The task completed with an exit code of (1f).
>

> The Backup.bks file is located at:
> C:\Documents and Settings\Ralph Page\Local Settings\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data
>
> This is where the backup program places the file. Assuming that the
> location in the backup report is just truncated, it appears to be
> looking in the correct place but it doesn't find the .bks file so it
> stops.
>
> Very strange.
>
> Thanks again for the help and interest.
> -Ralph Page
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o zid9pJkFHA.3300@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You do have a password on your user account don't you?

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Thanks for the quick replies David and Sharon.
>>
>> After finally realizing that David was referring to the scheduled
>> tasks log and not a log from the backup utility, I read that the
>> scheduled task failed:
>>
>> "Test Scheduled Backup.job" (ntbackup.exe) 7/24/2005 10:20:00 AM **
>> ERROR **
>> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task
>> failed,
>> therefore, the task did not run.
>> The specific error is:
>> 0x8007052f: Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible
>> reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hour restrictions, or
>> policy restriction has been enforced.
>>
>> I had not set a password during backup so I attempted to set a
>> password for the backup.
>>
>> That yielded a 0x80070005 Access Denied message that led me to a
>> Microsoft webpage that appears to indicate that SP2 has likely
>> induced
>> this problem. There is a hotfix available but I will try the
>> workaround since the hotfix is not available for immediate download.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> -Ralph Page

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:51:08 AM

It looks fine. Try rescheduling the task in Backup Scheduling Wizard. I was expecting to see a missing " (inverted comma)

"Ralph Page" <ralph@PANTSralphpage.net> wrote in message news:5mYEe.198$iM7.175@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and
> Settings\Ralph Page\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\NTBackup\data\Backup.bks" /a /d "Set created 7/24/2005 at 6:59 PM"
> /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:o ff /m normal /j "Bob" /l:f /f
> "F:\XPBackup3.bkf"
>
> This is what I see under properties for Bob, my scheduled task. Is
> that what you were referring to?
>
> From what little I know, it appears to be consistent with my settings
> and that path appears to be correct.
>
> -Ralph Page
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> news:o Yp0a7LkFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> What is the actual command line in TS for the task.
> <snip>

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 6:51:09 AM

It looks fine. Try rescheduling the task in Backup Scheduling Wizard.
I was expecting to see a missing " (inverted comma)

David, thanks for the continuing help.
Unforturnately, I tried using the wizard and generated a new backup
with the same dismal results, it can't find the .bks file.

There may be a more generic problem with the hard drive.

I used the search function in Explorer for all files with .bks as part
of the name and it doesn't find any files even though they are clearly
visible when I drill down to the data directory.
I even started in the ..../data directory and it didn't find any
files.
If the search utility is screwed up, the files may be 'invisible' for
some reason depending on the method of searching for them.

-Ralph
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 7:43:31 AM

I forgot to mention that I opted for the 'search hidden files and
folders' etc. prior to the search via the More Advanced Options
button.
-Ralph
!