Will 64-bit Vista be worth upgrading to?

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Hello all!

I am currently running on Windows XP (32-bit) and was very disappointed when my Intel Core Duo CPU E6850 (rated @ 3.00GHz) only scored a 1000 on the CPU test in 3dMark06 v1.1. When I compare my hardware configuration to that of people who got twice my score, the difference is truly minimal, and I believe the real difference may lay in the operating system that I'm running.

On the TomsHardware.com CPU charts, my processor scored a 2600 running on Vista with similar hardware configurations (less memory, actually). Will upgrading to Vista really increase my CPU performance to 260% of what it is now?

Many thanks,
phrzn

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
When you upgraded to your new proc did you format and reinstal windows? This is imperative. I was reading a post which I will try to find for you that someone was only getting a low 1k score with there Q6600. What was happening is that windows was disabling 3 cores and running only one core. So you can imagine that this is why you are not breaking 10k. You should reinstal windows and it should fix itself. Or ask the guy in this post i'm about to retrieve for you what he did.

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
I built the system from scratch - formatting and reinstalling on a completely clean HDD.

Thanks for the quick replies - I'm going to read that other post now, but was hoping to catch you before you signed off.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
It has to be something to do with Windows not utilizes or enabling all four cores... you should be getting substantially higher scores with a Q6600.

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Okay - I think I've found a fix, but I can't reboot my computer just yet to test it. In the meantime, however, I do have a quick question:
As a gamer and web/flash developer, is making the jump to Vista worth it?

Or will the performance (if I fix this) increase greatly enough that I should stick to XP?

P.S. I will post the fix if it works. *crosses fingers*

Hmm... interesting. generally you should get lower scores in Vista than in XP.

Here are some reasons:
1. CPU Overheating, which causes the CPU to scale back on the speed, like SpeedStep. <==best bet, since it is OCed.
2. Windows is disabling 3 of the cores.
3. If you have more than 4GB RAM that could also be it since its a 32bit OS.

Wait till SP1 comes out. Don't get me wrong, Vista is a great OS but its still has compatibility issues. Either way go with Vista/XP dual boot system like me.

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Okay... here's the latest update:

The problem is definitely that Windows XP has disabled the second core of my processor. I used the Intel Processor ID application to confirm that.

I found a fix, detailed by both Microsoft and NotebookReview.com:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=60416
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256

I've followed the instructions on both, but still haven't gotten it working.

If you have any ideas, please share. I'm going to keep trying to work this one out.

edit: I'm stumped on this problem and have started a new forum topic more properly titled:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/247820-28-intel-core-6850-core-disabled

Please help.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I remember when I upgraded from my Athlon64 3700+ to a FX60 and got lower scores. You'll need to remformat. As far as 3DMark on Vista your're almost guaranteed to get lower scores in Vista as 3DMark 06 is designed to test hardware under the XP enviroment.

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
@purplerat - Firstly, I didn't upgrade - everything was newly formatted when it was installed. Though, what is it I should reformat? My C:/ (Windows) drive?

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
@bornking - Unfortunately, I don't have another computer to try it in. I do, however, have a copy of Windows Vista Business 64-bit I could try with. Should I try that?

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Honestly this may sound redundant but you may need to reformat again. I know you installed on a clean system but something didnt go right and now windows is only seeing 1-2 cores.... or maybe disabling the others. If I were you I would reformat again if I couldnt get it to fix through the other forums.

phrozenfearz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2007
Okay, I suppose it's worth a shot. Won't be able to do that until Thursday night, so I'll mess around with Vista until then.

Thanks for your help. I'll update the forum when I find something out.