XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 Mounting questionb

jjl0402

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
Hi all,
I was trying to mount my XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 with the pushpins (I know bad idea) and i managed to break them and had to use the stock cooler right now for my Q6600. I was wondering if there is any reason I can't cut out the pushpins on the bracket of the HS and thread a bolt through each hole and into the mobo. I know the sell a bracket kit, but I would like to get this computer finished ASAP.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
If you are careful and do not apply too much pressure, it could work. Just be cautious and keep isolation and pressure in mind at each step.

sailer

Splendid
I would not thread screws into the motherboard. There's too much chance of either cracking the motherboard or causing a short. Instead, I would use a bolt that is skinny enough to pass freely through the board and then use a nut on the other side to secure it. Also use plastic or cardboard washers to insulate(isolate?) the nut from the board to prevent possible shorting. This would have a similar, though not as good, effect as those heatsinks which use a bracket behind the board to brace the heatsink.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
It's to bad that the S1283 and the S1284 don't both just come with the mounting plate kit. Because with the added cost of shipping it adds $10 to $12 dollars to the final cost of the HSF.
Join me, lets start an email campaign and tell XIGMATEK to include the bracket with their HSF's.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
you seriously think they will include it?lol there is more money to be made if bought seperately. the only way they will think about it is when whole world not buying it. can you get the whole world to follow you and sacrafice they cooling performance from the hsf? i dont think so.

just spend that small amount of money and get some serious performance. and how much does $12 compare to the amount you spend on your rig.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
dude just take one of the pushpins out of the stock cooler, put it on the xigmatek bracket and you're in business.

you just have to use a small screwdriver to pry one tab out of the way to pull the pin apart

free and fixed

AudieChason

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
Intel's push pin cooler mount is one dumb idea imho. I lost count of how many cooler surfaces i have damaged because of the difficulty and uneven pressure to set some of these things. I stumbled accross a Xigmatek accessory called the "Crossbow" (ACK-I7751) that replaces the intel pin setup with a bottom mount plate and top mount screw and spring approach a la Noctuna. I encountered one problem however, the attachment screw will work with the 120mm version but the mounting screws appear too large for the 92mm version. There's nothing about compatibility on the package. I got mine from NewEgg and they simply describe it as a "retention bracket" and I was quite surprised to find its actually a spring-loaded assembly. Now I see there are 2 versions -- maybe one is for the 92mm cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233020.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Many coolers include backplate, which will definately fit.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835887011
It's just easier buying one separately.