chiko987

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
ok so i formatted my pc and forgot to take 2 extremely important files so friends recommended to use recover my file and get my data the recover my file found many excel files but none would open they would give me weird msgs and the get my data puts the files name as ??? since the files names are not in english and the material in them isnt english so when i open an excel file it opens in gibirsh for some reason and im sure i have the language package so can anyone help me plz

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Are the files you are trying to recover excel files?

I've had a drive fail before and the only files I could get were word files... but the formatting was really screwed up like when you open a .doc file in wordpad... you know, a bunch of jiberish, then the actual text you want.

That could be the case with your recovered files, you lost the bits of formatting but some of the file is still there. Try opening them with different programs and extentions. Make sure you scan all the giberish and make sure you can't find any of your data within. Data recovery involves a lot of work (hence the reason for the extreme cost)

there is no fool proof plan... lots of trial and error is involved.

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Most of the 'gibberish' is all the code that is required to format a file such as an excel file, a word file, or something even more complex. But when it comes down to it...it's all stored as text, letters in 8 bit formations etc. But look through it and decide if there is anything worth recovering, other than that there isn't anything we can do. But if for some reason Excel is not reading it as the right file, save it as a .txt, and and .xls or whatever you saved it as and try opening them in different programs. But keep a copy of the original of course.

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to say but you are probably boned.
It has been quite a long time since I last had a drive that was not backuped fail so I am not terribly familiar with the recovery process.
I have, however, heard that Get Data Back can work small miracles when you need them most.
On another note, this is probably a good time to look into an external Hd to backup your important data on to.
They are a real lifesaver in situations like these.

a simple format over data can usually be recovered with get data back, saved my a$$ many times, try the free version, it will show you what is recoverable and then you can pay to actually recover it.

just don't use the drive AT ALL until you can hook it up for recovery