For a Single Card, Does it Matter Which Slot...

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I have a Gigabyte X38 mobo. It has two PCIe slots, one up close to the northbridge/RAM (labeled as PCIE_16_1 in my mobo manual), and another further down, that's pretty much separated from everything (labeled PCIE_16_2 in the manual). I choose to put mine in the lower slot (ie: 2), to keep it as far away from other heat producing components as possible. Both slots are blue, and, as I understand it, both slots are PCIe 2.0. As such, I'm assuming both slots run at full bandwidth. Would this be a correct assessment? The system runs fine with the card in this slot, but I'm just wondering if there is some kind of mandate that says which slot you need to install in when using only one card.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
The manual mentions nothing about this in particular. It just says that they are crossfire ready, both are PCIe x16, and both are PCIe 2.0. What does sdsdf mean?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Generally, I err on the side of caution. As such, I was going to install it in the number 1 slot. However, the 512 GTS is so damn big that it would be within a half an inch from the RAM and northbridge, and almost completely cover the southbridge heatsink in slot number 1. In slot two it's not infringing on anything.

IndigoMoss

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
It doesn't matter what slot, as long as they are both 16x, you won't have a decrease in bandwith. It's like putting a stick of ram in Dimm 2, instead of Dimm 1, doesn't make any difference.