I7 930 intel m/b that wont come out of sleep

timerrin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello,I have just put together an i7 930 with an Intel DX58SO using XP Pro and USB K/Board and Mouse... Q - How do I make it come out of sleep mode? Even the power switch doesn't do it. Reset is the only button that works...but that resets of course.

Are you absolutely positive it is a Windows problem?
Check your BIOS settings. A board that new should have power saving settings.
Re-boot, go to BIOS, read all possible settings for power settings, which one is active
and come back here with a report and you'll get an answer if it is Windows or the BIOS giving you trouble.

standby and hibernate, turn off monitor have been a problem with XP, not just in your system.
set standby to never
set turn off hard drive to never
set hibernate to never
set turn off monitor to never
that's the way a lot of people find they need to run it, because it won't function correctly otherwise in a lot of cases.

timerrin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Thanks guys. I do think it's a BIOS setting but what I've tried so far gets me as far as the computer waking but there's only a black screen and - nothing.

Setting in the BIOS Power section at the moment are:

After Power Failure - Stay Off
Wake on LAN from S5 - Stay Off
ACPI Suspend State - S3 State
Wake system from S5 - Disable

The rest of them look like they don't apply to this issue.

thanks
Tim

yes, shut off the standby, hibernate, monitor shut down, XP has problems when you use any of those features. Shutting them all off will usually help. There's one more thing, shutting off the USB power saver. This disables USB devices from working, and may prevent the waking of the computer if you have USB keyboard or mouse.
Are you trying to wake from a USB keyboard or mouse?

timerrin

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Everything in the power options is turned off except for monitor - 20 min and monitor switches off...which seems ok - the rest are 'off'. I was using the power button to wake from sleep but with this system it's not responding. In one of the settings I tried the computer came on but it was just a black screen.

With the old Pentium D it woke fine with the power button. Same hard drives just different mobo and cpu. I'll bet it's something simple I've overlooked...grrr :)

devt333

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Like soundguruman said, any USB hids?

And why do you need a sleep state? Computers "feel" best when run all the time, nonstop. Like any device. Unless you use it like 1 hour a day, then shut it down. Sleep is the worst thing that may ever happen to a machine.

I agree 100%. The computer isn't totally asleep. Some things are still running, but Windows is in a coma. How's your CPU fans doing while Windoze is sleeping? How hot is your CPU with Windoze no longer looking at it? (supposing it was looking at it at all). The BIOS may have a thermal shutdown feature, but not all have this. If the CPU fan goes to sleep with Windoze, sit close by and be alert to the smell of something getting very hot or burning. If the CPU fan continues running with Windoze sleeping, that's a good thing, but Windoze does have a hard time waking up (much like the rest of us).