Sign in with
Your question

PC immediately reboots after opening a game/3D app

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2008 4:36:35 AM

Right after I open a 3D app my PC just reboots, even with the simplest 3D cube on Atitool it reboots within 1 second of me opening it (Literally 1 second on COD4 and Atitool 3D cube), I just installed a new motherboard (old one broke on me), so I had to do a clean installation and took advantage of that situation to get nV 169.21 (New board is Asrock Core1333-DVI/H, yeah I know... budget board, it was an emergency). Don't think power is the problem here, but just in case it was I removed my 5 120mm fans and my 200mm fan and still keeps happening (PSU has 38A on the 12V rail). Also I used driver cleaner pro, removed 169.21, tried with the last drivers that worked for me (169.09) and still no luck.

GPU Temp: 50-51 C
CPU Temp: 40 C

I'm resorting to asking for help here since I'm clueless on what it could be causing my black screens all of a sudden, I would have a clue if it wasn't such an immediate issue after any 3D app starts. I'm going to try and format this, install XP 64 (Right now got XP SP2) and try with the 169.09 to see if it works, but brainstorming and diagnose are all welcome! Thanks.
a c 143 U Graphics card
January 12, 2008 5:03:19 AM

Just a shot in the dark: I was getting blue screens often when starting games. Not always, but about one in three, and each time right when starting. I downloaded and installed nTune about a month ago, and since then I haven't had any problem. I didn't actually do anything in nTune, but there is an nTuneService.exe process shown in Task Manager. I suspect they separated nTune from the rest recently and messed up a bit.
January 12, 2008 2:10:40 PM

Try checking out if it crashes before you have any nv drivers installed.
Related resources
January 12, 2008 2:14:03 PM

Ok I'm reinstalling WinXP (64bit now) and I'll check out if I have any problems, if I do then I'll proceed to do try what you said, if not then I'll have to return the motherboard for a new one.

Also if you could help because for the life of me I can't remember this (Can't say this is a frequent question either), if I put DDR2 1066 on a board that only supports DDR2 800 it will either underclock it or might be able to work with it at 1066, but what I want to know if that if the board says it's memory standard is DDR2 667/800 what happens if I put in DDR2 533? Will it OC the memory to 667 or should it work at 533 (Or not work at all).
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2008 4:39:16 PM

i had random reboots on one of my Asrock 939 dual sata II systems. It would reboot in sometimes just in ie, msword, or plugging in a usb thumb drive. Seems that mobo is picky on PSU's and the 450W Antec smart power 2.0 like comes in the Sonata II cases, didn't play well with the mobo.

Anyway, even though you have a pretty beefy power supply, I wouldn't doubt if the asrock is having an issue with it or your RAM. I'm scared at this point to use an asrock for a customers PC.

For a wild stab here, I would try unplugging all USB devices and see if you still have problems. Weird solution I know, but in my research I ran upon alot of complaints about USB ports on various asrock mobos. Also try just one stick of ram if you have not.
January 12, 2008 5:07:19 PM

emp said:
Right after I open a 3D app my PC just reboots, even with the simplest 3D cube on Atitool it reboots within 1 second of me opening it (Literally 1 second on COD4 and Atitool 3D cube), I just installed a new motherboard (old one broke on me), so I had to do a clean installation and took advantage of that situation to get nV 169.21 (New board is Asrock Core1333-DVI/H, yeah I know... budget board, it was an emergency). Don't think power is the problem here, but just in case it was I removed my 5 120mm fans and my 200mm fan and still keeps happening (PSU has 38A on the 12V rail). Also I used driver cleaner pro, removed 169.21, tried with the last drivers that worked for me (169.09) and still no luck.

GPU Temp: 50-51 C
CPU Temp: 40 C

I'm resorting to asking for help here since I'm clueless on what it could be causing my black screens all of a sudden, I would have a clue if it wasn't such an immediate issue after any 3D app starts. I'm going to try and format this, install XP 64 (Right now got XP SP2) and try with the 169.09 to see if it works, but brainstorming and diagnose are all welcome! Thanks.

What GPU is this your using? Have you tried resetting the card and does you mobo have the latest bios? Is your memory the same as was on the old mobo? If you have another GPU try swapping them out to see if the problem goes away. If the problem remains your memory should be checked.
January 13, 2008 12:09:52 AM

wow... pauldh you got it right. PSU incompatibility >_> Now not only Asus is on my never to buy again list but also Asrock, that's just great. Well I had to trade my lovely NeoHE 500 with my little bro's Purepower 600W, even trade I guess. Thanks for the help guys, I do appreciate it.
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2008 3:00:47 PM

Hey, good deal. Glad it's working for you now.

I hear ya though, I've built 4 asrock builds, but after that one finicky one, I'm not too keen on using their mobos again. Mobo's are the only component I tend to hold a grudge a bit. I'm done with ECS too as all but one of my K7S5A builds have come back to bite me somehow with blown caps, stability issues, or the bios resetting back to original defaults despite brand new cmos batteries.

Matter of fact, I still have a brand new Asrock 939 dual sata II, but haven't found a suitable use for it. I may use it as a AGP/PCI-e bench system since I sold the asrock I originally used for that. I sat on a couple K7S5A's for a while too that eventually I gave away as replacements for K7S5A's with blow caps.
!