Gigabyte X48-DS4 - BIOS won't change ?

crashmeister

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I OC'd a Q9450 on this mobo and after a few days of everything going great, I installed some new software that required a reboot after the install. The OS (XP-64) died on shutdown. I powered off and now it always comes up at stock speed.

If I try to change any bios setting, it powers down before restarting and on restart the POST shows a CPUID Patch message. The machine boots fine but it is always at stock setting. If I then reboot, without any changes, there is no CPUID Patch message. If I go into the bios, it shows my required settings (these have not been overridden) but they are not used at boot time.

I was running FSB at 425 (from stock 333). Nothing works now, not even a modest bump like 350.

BIOS fried ? Should I try flashing it ?

Regards,
Craig.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Of course you should try flashing it!

Then try and take everything off of auto, and manually set it, including CPU multiplier. Even if you are using the default multi, manually enter it.

Make sure your RAM is set to sync mode, so it runs with the FSB. If the RAM get's left in any other mode, it's possible that it is overclocking beyond it's spec if there is a higher divider being used.

I went through that Bios doesnt change trash. I really wonder what the root cause of it is. But I am sooo happy when it saves settings that I dont wanna make it start the no save junk again!

--Lupi

crashmeister

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Already done. No difference. No changes stick, when I try to save the BIOS, it always does a cold start (power-off, then on, then POST with the messages:

X48-DS4 F1
Main Processor....... Q9450 @ 2.66GHz (333x8)
<CPUID:00010677 PATCH ID:0703>
Memory Testing...

and so on. I have no idea what this CPUID stuff is.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hmmm, it appears that intel is issuing a bios Mod for that chip to change the CPI ID of it.

You are prolly screwed until the board manufacturer releases a new bios with the change incorporated into it. As opposed to being just patched.

Although the languages spoken by the evil that Intel had serious problems with 4 - nuclear chips Penryn, it seems that the situation at the CPU giant more than stably and the first processors Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3 GHz audit C1 appear on March 3, said Tech Connect Magazine. As you know, Core 2 Extreme QX9650 considered one of the most powerful processors for desktop systems. QX9770. In the range of Intel, he positioned just below QX9770. CPUID - 0×00010677. QX9650 chips audit C1 will receive new markings and SSPEC MM, as well as new CPUID - 0 × 00010677. Although the languages spoken by the evil that Intel had serious problems with 4 - nuclear chips Penryn, it seems that the situation at the CPU giant more than stably and the first processors Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3 GHz audit C1 appear on March 3, said Tech Connect Magazine. As you know, Core 2 Extreme QX9650 considered one of the most powerful processors for desktop systems. In the range of Intel, he positioned just below QX9770. QX9650 chips audit C1 will receive new markings and SSPEC MM, as well as new CPUID - 0 × 00010677. . Other specifications are virtually no different from relevant indicators audit C0. Nevertheless, manufacturers of motherboards will have to update the BIOS on their products so they worked correctly with the new chip. Other specifications are virtually no different from relevant indicators audit C0. Nevertheless, manufacturers of motherboards will have to update the BIOS on their products so they worked correctly with the new chip.

hehe, had to translate it from russian!

--Lupi

crashmeister

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Back on track...

I did not give up, I kept on fiddling and rebooting. Eventually pulled out all the memory and went back to 1 stick. No change. Added a second stick and it would not boot at all. Replaced second stick with third stick and suddenly I had 2.8GHz running. Tested 3.2 GHz and it worked.

So one would think there was a memory problem - well no, I then put all 4 sticks in and now it's still running fine.

I have Prime95 running, will start a MemTest86 tomorrow morning after Prime95 runs small FETs all night.

I hate this. I do not know what happened. I do not know what fixed it. These unknowns drive me crazy, I'm a 'got to know' kinda guy.

I was running 3.4, now at 3.2. Maybe I'll stay there.

Vertigon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
the board does have some memory compatibility issues and gigabyte have a list somewhere. F5 bios is in beta and will be available for download soon.

crashmeister

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Right now I do not know what to think. The board is running fine at 3.2GHz with all 8 gigs. I ran MemTest overnight and then prime95 all the next day. absolutely no issues.

The board and ram are both running at spec (400/800/1600). Maybe that's the sweet spot :)

Craig.

urahozer

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
Hey, so im looking to get the same mobo and CPU, has anyone else had this problem since. Im getting 2 pairs of Mushkin DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12) btw