Sign in with
Your question
Closed

M2N-MX SE PLUS Memory Problems

Last response: in Memory
February 7, 2008 7:04:21 PM

Hi, here's the lowdown: Just built a new computer with -> M2N-MX SE Plus, X2 4200+ AM2, Knigston KVR DDR2 800 2GB(2X1), OCZ 610W PSU, X1950Pro, 250GB SATA HDD. The MB has Bios Rev. 0302 (latest).

The problem: At first I put everything in and fired up the computer, but no post, no beeps no nothing. The fans all spun up ok. So I went and cleared the Cmos, just to be sure (the MB was brand new), Still nothing.

Since it has onboard video, I proceeded to remove the GFX card, extra ram stick and sata cable. Booted up the machine, and was greeted by the Wrong Cmos message due to the Cmos clear i did just before.

Went into the bios and configured everything as it's supposed to be (mostly left the settings @ stock, but adjusted the time and the boot sequence). Rebooted.

Everything was fine at that point, so went ahead and put the gfx back in, hooked up the HDD and rebooted. Still going.

Then I went in and put the second stick of Ram in. Rebooted, NO POST..!!

So I took out both sticks, and reseated one, booted, NO problem. I took it out, put the other stick in, booted, NO PROBLEMS. I then put the second stcik in, tried to boot, but NO POST.!!

At that point I kinda tought that the memory may be defective, so I tried them in my main computer, booted up fine on the first try (this was done on a M2R32-MVP MB).

Note that these sticks are rated to run @ 1.8V, and thats what the board is supposed to supply on default, but since there's no option to change/check the memory voltage, I can't be sure.

So I'm stuck there since I'm perfectly sure the Ram is good (both sticks), but there's 1 thing that's bugging me, there's an option in the Memory page of the BIOS regarding "Ganged and UnGanged" mode. I read up that this is for the AM2+ CPUs, and that if you set it to "Unganged" it kinda forces the memory to operate in single channel mode or vice versa, but the information I gatehred is pretty vague, and since this board is more low-end, there's not much infromation on the web for it.

Anyone has had this board, and/or a similar problem?

Thanks.

More about : m2n memory problems

Related resources
February 18, 2008 6:24:53 AM

Yes I am haviing the same problems, I have 15 on these damn motherboards.
Very odd.
Seems to affect different cpus differently
A 4200 with 2 gigs ram (2x1) wouldn't go (Kingmax)
Put in a 4400 and it went.
Put in a 5200 no go

Changed brand of ram, no go. (Apogee)
Ordered some more ram, (Transcend) have to wait and see.

Same as you, left the 2nd ram slot free and all the pcs went.

Also tried a 5200 with 2x1 gigs
Swapped between various motherboards some went some didn't.

It seems some of the boards are fussier than others.
I had bad checksum error on 2 and reset to default
Haven't worked out what the fix is (1 x 2 gig stick perhaps?)

February 18, 2008 10:42:37 PM

Yeah, got some info about early BIOSes being hard to get going on those boards, mine was 0108 i think, got the 0302 on there and got it to boot with 2x1GB.

I also just buit a new computer with with another M2N-SE plus, that one has the 0209 bios, tried to boot it with 2x1GB of Value Patriot 800, no go. Flashed to 0302, did not go either.

Put in KVR 800 2x1GB, and it went, but i re-flashed it with the 0302 BIOS aftewards and put the 2x1GB Patriot back in and got it going with those also. Pretty stupid if you ask me, but hey that's what you get for buying budget parts I guess...

Hope this helps
May 17, 2008 2:25:58 AM

I have one of these boards. I installed the OS using one stick of DDR2-800 and then updated the BIOS from a downloaded file. I then had to shut the machine down, unplug it, pull out the CMOS battery, install the second stick of DDR2, replaced the battery, plugged it in, and booted up without any trouble. Very frustrating to deal with....
September 25, 2008 8:32:10 PM

I was having the same problems using 4GB of RAM (2x2GB).

What did work for me, after I tried booting with both sticks in and it didn't work, was switching the CLRTC (Clear CMOS) jumper position without unplugging the power cord. The motherboard green LED was on, and, as I did this, the system powered up as if I had hit the power button, then I put the jumper back to its normal (default) position. And voilĂ , "beep" and I was into the BIOS setup after pressing F1.

I checked the setup and the memory was set to "unganged" mode (single channel). Changing it then to Auto ("ganged", dual channel) everything went fine. I then proceeded to install the video card (8600gt) and HDs, etc without a problem. As far as I can tell the trick is to clear the CMOS, but I won't test it thorougly right now because this isn't my machine and I don't have time for that.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+ 2.6GHz, bios revision 0503

Good luck to all!
November 12, 2008 3:00:40 AM

Wow computers are quite odd sometimes! Same problem as you guys with 2x2GB Crucial and a 5000 64 X2 Black. No motherboard beeps so I tried the POST card and it came up with a memory code. System would boot with one or the other stick installed. I switched to Ganged mode with one installed, but still would not boot with both in. I had normally cleared the bios and it did not help, so I tried fbecklas's power cord plugged in cmos clear and guess what!!!! I'll say it again: Computers are quite odd sometime! I hope this helps all you out there.
November 21, 2008 3:09:36 AM

I had same problems,the solution is easy.put only 1 module memory ,run bios setup utility/advanced/nortBrige Configuration/memory configuration/bank interleaving / SET (AUTO) /exit & save changes / BINGO ,run perfect , gook luck

CUBANYERO
December 20, 2008 2:14:07 PM

i had success solving this problem doing exactly what dbryceman said above....Thank you very much...i have an amd 5000+ and 2x (1GB) sticks of kingston ram...windows says i have 1.87 GB of ram now...but im fine with that...close enough i say after all the hassle of this mobo. Ive never had this issue with asus boards in the past.
December 20, 2008 3:55:08 PM

Almost same exact problem here.

Doesn't matter what I try, resetting cmos, booting with one stick, adjusting timings, voltage, nothing, B1 will not post.

Asus says bad dimm slot.

RMA'ing board.

Wonderful.
December 30, 2008 8:07:29 PM

Did you try flashing the bios? I have the same board as you, but I don't have that problem, Cbit said they fixed their problem by flashing the bios.
December 30, 2008 8:13:52 PM

Yes, I flashed the bios to latest edition, 602 or whatever it was...I now know that everything else certainly is fine, b/c I have a new Foxconn mobo and it's running like a raped ape, recognized all 4GB of RAM right off. :) 

still rma'ing the asus board...it's screwed.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
March 14, 2009 5:58:16 PM

Hello, I had a similar problem, being able to only boot the system with one memory stick. I ended up fixing the issue by installing the ram after removing the RTC RAM, and installing the second stick while the battery was out of the mobo and the jumper cap was in the 'clear' position. I am currently running into a new issues, however, the system seems to hang at random times.

I am running windows XP home edition and using 2 2-gig sticks of kingston KVR800D2N6 memory. Any ideas?
April 9, 2009 6:39:22 AM

Hello, I've spent 3mo fighting with this board. Memory no issue, using infineon. My problem is when playing games or using benchmark prgs ect, this thing keeps rebooting or shooting me back to windows at random points. I called Asus and ended up rmaing the mb. I got it back the other day and reinstalled it. Guess what SAME problem. I have tried different cpus, memory, video cards, power supplys, and harddrives. I called Asus to see how they tested the board, all they did was to reset the bios to factory settings and sent it back to me. Har Har Har thats rich. I told them every thing I did to try to fix the problem including using a different copy of windows. I ask if I should just scrap the board and was told NO rma it again. BIG SIGH. If anyone here can help that would be great.
April 24, 2009 2:52:04 AM

We just purchased 68 of these boards and have had the same memory problem. We are using Athlon Duo core processors. We are using 2-2gig kits from Crucial. I have been in contact with Crucial and Asus. Asus is trying to help with the problem and so is Crucial. It is just fustrating that you would have this with new motherboards. I have found that the only way I can get to the bios update screen is to put one chip of Patriot 1 gig in one slot and it will see that memory. I can then flash the Bios. I have flashed the memory to 0602 and now it will boot with one Curcial 2 gig chip. I ran Memtest on each channel with only one stick in the computer. No errors showed up. I have tried three of the motherboards but fear to try any more. I will try some of the ideas posted here tomorrow.
May 12, 2009 5:46:49 PM

I have spent 30 days trying to get this problem resolved. Crucial has been the most helpful in their suggestions and their Tech Support. On the otherhand Asus has tried to blame everything except the cause its self--the Bios. It will not see the second 2 gig chip no matter what we try. So Crucial seeing the problem with Asus has offered to take back 68 of the chips so I will only have 2 gig in each computer. Now for the future I will be buying Giga-Byte boards for my labs.
June 17, 2009 1:53:52 AM

I just did what CUBANYERO said and it worked perfectly, didnt even have to touch the CMOS battery. I`ve got an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ and I`m using a pair of slightly different 1GB Kingston 667.

Good luck!
Nelson
July 23, 2009 8:54:54 PM

Hi,

I just had the same problem - this board has definite problems recognizing memory.

This worked for me:

Update bios if needed

Turn off computer (with power switch on back)

Remove old memory and install new - should be identical sticks in each slot

Pop out the motherboard battery (small screwdriver needed - careful!)

Replace battery

turn on computer

It should recognize the new memory (up to 4GB)

Jad

August 21, 2009 4:45:08 PM

just finished installing a mobo with a feature like that - ganged or unganged, as well as a super sata something something or you got to go with "native sata ide". well: the hdd is a b-new 1 T seagate, and it only runs as "native sata ide"and the whole thing will only boot @ UNGANGED mode. dont ask me, i have no idea what that is, but once the bios was updated it recon the phenom proc and its flying, oh my it is. hope this helps.
clavabr@gmail.com
August 25, 2009 2:55:59 AM

Updating the BIOS worked for me when I had the same problem. All is well now. Good Luck
October 26, 2009 10:09:01 AM

Seems Asus screwed the mobo(BIOS) in combination with the memmo sticks..
Just have to be smart with purchasing memo sticks, not TOO old and not TOO new.
New:
2-2GB memmo kingston 800mHz
Vid card- Ati Radeon 4870 1024MB DDR5
(Just runs fine with WIN7 now)

I had no problems, but im just running a bios update today(Newer version)
before, ill check the current version in case the newer wont go.
January 16, 2010 5:15:48 AM

Timmm said:
Seems Asus screwed the mobo(BIOS) in combination with the memmo sticks..
Just have to be smart with purchasing memo sticks, not TOO old and not TOO new.
New:
2-2GB memmo kingston 800mHz
Vid card- Ati Radeon 4870 1024MB DDR5
(Just runs fine with WIN7 now)

I had no problems, but im just running a bios update today(Newer version)
before, ill check the current version in case the newer wont go.

I am running win7 32bit and i bought: OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) OCZ2RPR10664GK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have the said mobo.

The computer only recognizes 2.3gb of my 4gb. I need to check better specs with CPUZ_153 but I can't right now. How can I make it "see" the full 4 gb?

Is my ram too advanced/good>? Should I get this pc2 2600 ram instead?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
January 16, 2010 5:19:42 AM

How do I "install" a new bios? like 0503

Is there anther newer one I should install?
July 8, 2010 7:11:17 PM

I had the same problem, add new 2gig stick to my existing 1gig stick and suddenly the computer won't boot. Fans okay, no beeps, boops, or pictures- Just running fans.

Solution:
Install memory as desired with computer off. Pull main power from the back of the computer. Pop CMOS battery out, tap fingers for 15 seconds, re-seat CMOS battery. Replug power. Press power button. Situation resolved.

I did have to re-enter the time and date, but other than that it just plain worked.

Edit** I did not do any BIOS flashing nor did I change anything except the time and date. I don't know what version BIOS I have but I know it is older, it doesn't have alot of the options i've seen listed in the earlier posts.
August 17, 2011 3:06:16 AM

CUBANYERO said:
I had same problems,the solution is easy.put only 1 module memory ,run bios setup utility/advanced/nortBrige Configuration/memory configuration/bank interleaving / SET (AUTO) /exit & save changes / BINGO ,run perfect , gook luck

CUBANYERO

This solved it for me too! Thanks a ton guys!
January 31, 2012 3:06:30 PM

Quote:
CUBANYERO wrote :

CUBANYERO

i just registered here to thank you my friend!!!! :D  :D  :D 
January 31, 2012 6:29:39 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!