Sign in with
Your question

HDD question for new build

Last response: in Systems
January 4, 2008 9:27:10 PM

Hey guys....

I'm building a new pc with new hard drive and everything. Is it possible to take my old hard drive right out of my Dell and put it in this one? I have a Dell 4550 (Pentium 4...3+ years old) with XP. It has an ATA100 IDE HDD...but as long as I have an IDE cable to the motherboard, it'll work right?

More about : hdd question build

January 4, 2008 10:14:35 PM

yes

it works if you have the same chipset - lets say you have a amd cpu and the new one is intel - if both are nvidia it will work

or if its same cpu if its intel 945 and you switch to 975

works many times

you need to load the new drivers
January 4, 2008 10:17:28 PM

Short answer is no.
Long answer is probably 'no' as well, but maybe M$ will let you swap your OEM Dell license to your new PC... But I'd not like your chances.

BUT... If you only want to xfer some files from your old drive to your new drive with new OS, then set it up as a non-boot drive in your bios boot order, and xfer away. Or just use it as a storage drive, whatever.
Related resources
January 4, 2008 10:44:16 PM

alright so I have two guys saying two different things, and I've got other people saying other stuff too.

So what you, croc, are saying is that I would have to

1)build the new pc,
2)put both the new (SATA) drive and the old (IDE) drive in the new case,
3)configure BIOS to boot from CD-ROM (for OS install) and have the old (IDE) drive as a non-boot drive,
4)then the old drive will be accessible in the new OS and I can transfer data files (minus the OS) to the new (SATA) drive
January 4, 2008 11:02:15 PM

clayforhim648 said:
alright so I have two guys saying two different things, and I've got other people saying other stuff too.

So what you, croc, are saying is that I would have to

1)build the new pc,
2)put both the new (SATA) drive and the old (IDE) drive in the new case,
3)configure BIOS to boot from CD-ROM (for OS install) and have the old (IDE) drive as a non-boot drive,
4)then the old drive will be accessible in the new OS and I can transfer data files (minus the OS) to the new (SATA) drive

Yep... At least that's been my experience, but I'll have to defer to Dragonsprayer's opinion as he's a system builder, where I am just a lowly home-builder.

Personally, I'd re-order your build order slightly for safety's sake.

1)build the new pc.
2)Install only the SATA drive.
3)configure BIOS to boot from CD-ROM (for OS install).
4)Install OS to SATA drive.
5)Verify a good OS install, pc build, etc. Memtest, prime95, the usual tests.
6)Install old IDE drive, change boot options to: Floppy, CD, SATA, IDE.

xfer files or just use drive....

But, hey! I'm no expert. (however, I do have a whole team of experts that I work with...)
January 4, 2008 11:16:23 PM

Sorry, one or two more ?'s croc. Its my first build, so I'm a little wet behind the ears.

if I did it this way, could I transfer whole programs as well? Office, games, etc. etc. or just things like mp3's, jpegs, etc. ?

also, if I just decide to backup data with cd's, I could reformat the old drive and wipe it clean and just use it after its clean right? How would I totally wipe it clean, no OS or anything?
January 4, 2008 11:40:22 PM

If your OS is on another drive, there is no problem.

Else google "changing motherboards" to see the trials and tribs when the OS sees a new mobo. Esp see http://www.motherboard.windowsreinstall.com . It's quite possible, but XP will ask for the new mobo drivers. Also, XP will definitely ask for reactivation.

It might be better to rename the old OS folders from a boot disk, install the new drive, install XP from scratch, delete the old OS, defrag, and reinstall the programs. This is long but much cleaner in the long run.
January 5, 2008 12:24:20 AM

You'll probably have to install windows again, because often the OS won't work when swapping the Hard drive from system to system-though it sometimes does work.
However, I wouldn't recommend this as newer motherboards often only include a SINGLE IDE CHANNEL, which would have to be shared with an Optical Drive, severely limiting performance. I would recommend a newer SATA drive-it's well worth the cost.
January 5, 2008 2:44:40 AM

clayforhim648 said:
Sorry, one or two more ?'s croc. Its my first build, so I'm a little wet behind the ears.

if I did it this way, could I transfer whole programs as well? Office, games, etc. etc. or just things like mp3's, jpegs, etc. ?

also, if I just decide to backup data with cd's, I could reformat the old drive and wipe it clean and just use it after its clean right? How would I totally wipe it clean, no OS or anything?

Personally, I'd just re-install all of the important progs. rather than try fighting with various backup / restore utilities. Then xfer the useful old data, or just leave it where it is. PITA but... It takes me a week to do a backup / restore from an old MB to a new one, and get it done right.
January 5, 2008 3:30:14 AM

Yes, definitely reinstall programs. Many programs install code in operating system files such as registry files. If you just copy a file with the program itself, you will be missing the other code required for the program to work properly.

!