LCD resolution

Last response: in Home Theatre
June 7, 2005 7:20:56 PM

I'm noticing that most 20- and 21-inch 4:3 LCD televisions have
resolutions of either 640x480 or 1024x768. Is the increased resolution
noticeable for non-HD programming, or would the picture be relatively
grainy compared to a CRT set in either case? Thanks.

More about : lcd resolution

June 8, 2005 6:00:48 AM

"noahd34@rcn.com" <noahd34@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm noticing that most 20- and 21-inch 4:3 LCD televisions have
> resolutions of either 640x480 or 1024x768. Is the increased resolution
> noticeable for non-HD programming, or would the picture be relatively
> grainy compared to a CRT set in either case? Thanks.

Not even the best LCD display is the equal of a superior CRT display; yet.
To take advantage of resolutions beyond 480i a display must do a very good
job of up-converting the 480i source. Some sets do this very well, Sony for
example. I don't think a grainy result is an issue with such an LCD display,
in any case.

Richard.
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 6:00:49 AM

"Richard" <rfeirste@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message news:kjspe.4236

> Not even the best LCD display is the equal of a superior CRT display;
> yet.
I think you should limit that to residential HDTV.

The highest visual resolution color displays yet made (IBM Roentgen) were
LCD.
June 8, 2005 7:16:01 AM

> "noahd34@rcn.com" <noahd34@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > I'm noticing that most 20- and 21-inch 4:3 LCD televisions have
> > resolutions of either 640x480 or 1024x768. Is the increased resolution
> > noticeable for non-HD programming, or would the picture be relatively
> > grainy compared to a CRT set in either case? Thanks.
>
> Not even the best LCD display is the equal of a superior CRT display;
yet.
> To take advantage of resolutions beyond 480i a display must do a very good
> job of up-converting the 480i source. Some sets do this very well, Sony
for
> example. I don't think a grainy result is an issue with such an LCD
display,
> in any case.
>
> Richard.

I beg to differ, Sony a few years back had a 21" WS (16x9) LCD monitor than
needed a dedicated video card. I believe it's resolution was 1600x900. I
remember it because it was $2000. I was expecting other manufacturers would
follow thus driving the price down. What's funny is that some Laptop
resolutions have higher resolution than most of the LCD monitors on the
market.
June 8, 2005 1:14:57 PM

When I typed: "Not even the best LCD display is the equal of a superior CRT
display; yet", I was not making reference to "resolution" but to overall
display quality. I know of no LCD yet that is capable of providing the black
level and shadow detail that a top quality direct view tube display can
provide. Resolution in itself is not a major factor in display quality when
we are talking about HDTV. Real blacks and superior shadow detail are more
important.

Richard.
!