is Vonage the culprit of game lag?

aciaman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2007
Since we got Vonage the online games I play always lag with no high ping. I know this is a network issue not my IP or computer because I have and up to date one. Our network goes
Cable modem motorola surfboard>Dlink 4100-2nd wireless router and Vonage router are connected to dlink> small hub for extra ports need for another computer. I disable the DHCP in the Vonage but I still get lag so im not sure if its this but knowing it takes bandwitch I think. Should I put a low priority on it and how in the dlink 4100? The games it seems worst in is BF2 . It is the only game I play now and it is very annoying to get lag jerk about 10seconds and sometimes I dont get lag for a couple of minutes but then it comes back again. So what can I do to fix this?

mdeezy

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
just to clarify, net work setup is like this?

Cable Modem -> DLink Wireless -> Vonage -> Dlink Hub?

if so that is a lot of devices that can start to consume some of the network resources. The hub can be drinking up a bit, especially since a hub repeats the signal out all ports not just those connected to it.

I'd suggest getting a wireless router with enough ports to suite your needs, or switch out the hub for a workgroup switch. On the hub are all ports being used?

Was your setup the same before just subtract the vonage from the network setup?

I think you just might need more bandwidth, your lag and ping will get bad if your network has a lot of load on it, so if you can lighten the load that will help, or increase bandwidth.

...Vonage for gaming??? Theres the problem.

Vonage is a phone company, their pitch is VoIP, not gaming. The state of their network reflects that. I doubt Vonage has the capacity for Internet gaming.

Hell, in the 3 years i've played competitivly online, i've never met someone using Vonage. I see 56ker once in a while, but never a Vonage person...

Raeven_Zero

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
He's not using Vonage's network for gaming, he merely has Vonage phone service running on his network. It uses one small access point type device that is only used for the handheld phone sets. It should only have a small footprint in your network, unless you are on the phone, it then varies depending on how you set up it's bandwidth usage via Vonage's website.

leefuji

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
What kills your gaming ping the most is any upload that you perform since everyones upload speed is much lower than their download .. so download doesnt affect it that much, so back to vonage .. talking using your vonage phone service means your uploading data which will cause your gaming ping to spike up and down causing major lag. and as someone said you might be able to adjust the quality of your vonage service which means less upload when someone is using the phone so less lag or ping spikes. you gotta test and see what works the best but def having a vonage phone service on the same gaming connection is a NO NO if you wanna pwn ;-)

G

I'm searching for an answer to the same problem. It definately has something to do with vonage. I always get booted off of Madden 10 on PS3 and I can't play Civ IV or any other game without getting booted due to lag issues. When I disconnect Vonage, it works fine. I have a simple cable modem --> vonage phone adaptor --> wireless router setup. This is how the vonage works. if it went modem to router then to vonage, i doubt there would be a problem, but it doesn't work that way. good luck.