Need help deciding! PC upgrade or PS3?

redthorn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2008
I don't know whether to upgrade my PC or get a PS3. I want to be able to play Crisis and Far Cry 3 when it comes out on very high settings but I can't afford a completely new system so what would be better a minor upgrade to my system or a PS3?? Also, the game that I'm really looking forward to on PS3 is Metal Gear 4.

Here's my system.
Windows XP Pro
300 GB WD Hard Drive 7200rpm
2.5 GB of RAM - Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2PT(2x1GB) and TWINX512-3200C2PT(2x256)
Pentium 4 at 3.4 Ghz Hyper Threading
Ati Radeon 9600 XT 128MB (AGPx8)

If I get a new video card will I be able to play Crisis and Far Cry 3 the way they look in the trailors and gameplay videos? Will my PC be comparible to PS3? Or do I need a Core Duo processor and PCI Express graphics to have a better PC than a PS3? I can't afford to buy completely new parts so please help! I want something that will last me a few years so that I won't have to maintain a PC, I don't want to upgrade every 6 months or so, that's too expensive.

poup23

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I do prefer PC for gaming, especially for FPS like Crysis or COD 4. I feel better playing these kind of games on a good keybord and a good mouse than on those tiny not much configurable gamepad offered with consoles. But it is my own choice. I also feel my computer much more versatile than a PS3 or a Wii or any other kind of console.

The only advantage I see in the PS3 is the Blu-ray player. Yes maybe for now you'll have better graphics with the PS3, but with the new nVidia generation coming shortly, you could get a decent computer that will allow you to play all your favorites titles and you could buy a Blu-Ray device for your TV, unless you already own the HD TV... The 8800GT is also a great choice.

boner

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
ok im not trying to undermine the power of a PS3 but for me, it's not worth it because that platform does not has a lot of games yet but if you want it then go for it dude, i have a Xbox 360 and Madden 08, NCAA 08, Call of duty 4, halo 3 and more games