What motherboard needed?

Hi all,

I'm going to build a new pc, and wanting to overclock my CPU. The CPU that I want to buy is the Q9450. It has an FSB of 1333, so I tought I'd buy a motherboard with a FSB also of 1333, logically..

Now, here's the deal, I want to OC my Q9450 to 3,2GHZ, so that means that I need to OC my FSB to 400Mhz, but does my motherboard then also needs to support an FSB of 1600 or not?

The motherboard I wanted to buy is the Asus P5N-D. But it does not support 1600Mhz FSB..
Also, the motherboards needs to support 2x PCI-E 2.0 16x, so I tought that is it needs to run @ 1600, I could buy the P5Q Pro, but it does not support 2x PCI-E 2.0 16x..

Can Anyone please advise my on this subject?

Specs:
D9450
Asus P5N-D???
OCZ DDR2 800MHZ 2x 2GB
9800GTX+
1 answer Last reply
More about what motherboard needed
  1. It looks like that board needs a bios flash to support the Q9450 (reading Newegg reviews).... it also doesn't look like it's very friendly to overclocking, though some obviously have made it work pretty well.

The FSB thing isn't a big deal as long as you can overclock the board to the settings you're interested in. What the boards are capable of and what they're officially rated for are two different things.

My GA-EP35-DS3R board is running my Q9450 at 3.2GHz with no issues, but it sorta/kinda supports FSB1600.

If I were you, I wouldn't get an SLi board with only one graphics card - it doesn't seem like many people ever manage to get the second card, and if they do, they could have just gotten a new single card which will outperform their dual card setup.

My recommendation: get a P35 or P45 board with a nice HD 4850 (the initial reviews of the 9800GTX+ haven't been too favorable).

If you're not playing games on a resolution of 1900x1200 or up, I don't think the extra card is likely to be necessary anyway.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Support CPUs Overclocking